Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ok, What is Going On Here?  (Read 5287 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, What is Going On Here?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:14 am »

How the hell are you running df on more than one core? I thought it didnt support multi threading?

Correct. DF runs on 1 core all the time.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 01:57:55 pm »

So: If you have multiple cores (say, 4), the OS thread scheduler will spread DF out over those four cores. It will always be running one thread, though, so total usage will never rise above one full core (25% or 100%, depending on whether your monitor reports all four cores in use as 100% or 400%). It will happily switch around between cores, though, as the OS decides that its thread gets time on this core or that core.

On three cores, then, DF should only ever use 33% of any of them. With 6 cores, it should only ever use 16%. Thus, 70-80% from DF on 6 cores is impossible (though 7-8% would be fine). I'd check other things thrashing in the background while DF was running. You should be able to get a per-process view of CPU usage and figure things out from there.

Hyperthreading for DF is bad. It will use as much of the CPU as it can, and hyperthreading a core will halve the amount of cycles that a single thread can get (fine if you are running several small applications, bad if you are running a single large application).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 02:34:09 pm »

This was originally a thread about making stone crafts, the OP completely erased the original post content and changed the title to what it is now. I was wondering why it said I had posted in this unfamiliar thread already. I smell flamebait\attention whoring\trolling... :O

In the future, you ought to make a new thread for a new topic.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 06:50:01 pm »

No. The thing is, as soon as people started questioning his claims about tamed demons and such, he started making excuses. Then, when somebody asked him to upload his world, DF conveniently exploded.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 10:13:27 pm »

Well, did he explicitly state vanilla DF? He may have just felt that we would look down on him if he had done heavy modding in favor of dorfs. We are semi-elitist after all, given that we're the chosen ones that will hear the message of Toady One and strike down the unworthy using socks and coins. Dear god, someone needs to fill a sock with coins as a weapon for adventure mode.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

PheonixIV

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 10:21:26 pm »

No. The thing is, as soon as people started questioning his claims about tamed demons and such, he started making excuses. Then, when somebody asked him to upload his world, DF conveniently exploded.

Somone asked me to upload the world?

And yeah, my version of DF wasn't even remotely vanilla, i had tamed Tentacle Demons, i would have thought the fact that i'd screwed around with it would be pretty clear. The odd thing was that the Elves were turning up with them, not that they existed. Although i was surprised at first because i didn't think i'd modded Demons at all.

Does DF use any standard Windows system resources?

Ovbiously DF isnt actually using '6' cores, it's been made pretty clear it can't do that, but i would like to know why windows thinks it is.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:29:54 pm by PheonixIV »

PheonixIV

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2009, 10:51:05 pm »

You know what; screw trying to work this out. My computer is playing random boing sound effects and sheep baas every few minutes. Something's gone horribly wrong here.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:38 pm »

Armok has chosen your computer.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

PheonixIV

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 11:12:41 pm »

I don't know anymore. I knew this system had a few quirks, but sheep noises?

Crashing problem seems to also be unrelated to DF and related to Max, since it just did it again, despite being the only program i had open at the time. Goddamnit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]