Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cooking defaults fix please!  (Read 1343 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cooking defaults fix please!
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:00:54 pm »

I just finished cooking all of my booze and all of my plants that I'd brought on embark on a plantless, waterless map.  I'd brought no seeds because I had the plants and I knew it would take a while before I got farming going -- I was cooking to free up barrels. 

So I'm wedged; my miner will die of thirst before we get to the caverns. Therefore, I'm throwing away the past half-hour and reverting to the on-embark save.

Hate.

Please make the default for booze and plants be that they can't be cooked!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking defaults fix please!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:37:04 pm »

You can do it yourself in the Kitchens menu (under the 'z' status screen).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:51:46 pm »

While it's true that we can set the defaults, but it's easy to forget that right after embark.

Perhaps rather than "fixing" the defaults in a way that not everyone would prefer, maybe we could have someway to save our preferences in a way that will persist across games?  Maybe a txt file somewhere that we can edit to set up some default settings?  It's a pain to do it again every time you start out...

And I end up toggling all sorts of things around and I don't always remember to do it when we kill or import new foodstuffs, given that you can't change food/booze settings until you have some of that exact kind.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:15:26 am »

I dunno about changing the default settings, but it would be nice if you could toggle on and off entire categories of food for cooking.  Booze, seeds, milled plants, meat, and so forth.  Well, I guess it would have to be a three-position toggle:  on, off, and "custom."

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:20:45 pm »

I dunno about changing the default settings, but it would be nice if you could toggle on and off entire categories of food for cooking.  Booze, seeds, milled plants, meat, and so forth.  Well, I guess it would have to be a three-position toggle:  on, off, and "custom."

That's a good idea too, so there's no reason we couldn't have both:  let us set the defaults for each category in a file somewhere as on/off, and have us do any "custom" modifications in game, like we already do.  Should probably add brewing defaults to that, too.

So I could default it so that in each and every new game I start, milled plants & meat are set to be cooked, but booze, seeds and unmilled plants are not.  But in game, I could later decide that I can cook all the seeds I got by drowning elves or whatever that I can't actually plant by toggling those specific seeds on.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:54:38 am »

You can do it yourself in the Kitchens menu (under the 'z' status screen).

Yes, but that should not be necesary and should be default to something that is not liability. (In same vein that corpse items and used ammunition are forbidden by default to prevent sock-runs and bolt-run suicides and cooking seeds is disabled to prevent unwanted seed destruction.).

For new player which is likely to accidentally cook his booze, it saves frustration.

For me as a bit experienced player, this has became one of little hoops i have to jump through on embark before game really starts: visit kitchen menu, turn off booze cooking. Then visit it later when you get new kinds of booze and turn it off too.

It is annoying like hell after few embarks to do exactly same setting.

That's a good idea too, so there's no reason we couldn't have both:  let us set the defaults for each category in a file somewhere as on/off, and have us do any "custom" modifications in game, like we already do.  Should probably add brewing defaults to that, too.

So I could default it so that in each and every new game I start, milled plants & meat are set to be cooked, but booze, seeds and unmilled plants are not.  But in game, I could later decide that I can cook all the seeds I got by drowning elves or whatever that I can't actually plant by toggling those specific seeds on.

Indeed, i would prefer that too.

I, for example, always end up disabling brewing for thread producing plants, cooking booze and cooking brewable plants

---

It occurs to me that Kitchen menu should also have option to toogle milling for plants. You problably want to toogle miling for Cave wheat when you are brewing it or when you really only want to mill dyes.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:04:51 am »

You actually can't disable cooking for booze you brew or buy until after you've brewed it or cooked it, but really my point is exactly what sizik said: that if most people usually want to change a setting, it's better to change the default.

I also want more control over milling and other processing (another fave: cooking milk rather than making cheese).  But that requires new functionality, whereas changing the defaults is presumably a 5-minute change including testing.