Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rockless World  (Read 822 times)

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rockless World
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:26:43 pm »

I want to limit the player's access to stone, such that it becomes a very valuable resource, while at the same time allow them to dig through soil to uncover goodies.

I realize this is probably not going to happen, but is it possible to generate a world where all levels are exclusively soil?

I tried mangling the matgloss_stone_layer.txt file such that it includes only one type of stone, marble.  However, upon generating a world, it came up with a very abundant soil type 'rock', which leaves stone behind when excavated, defeating the entire purpose of what I've done.

A still further alternative could be creating a global aquifer on the second level down.  I have no clue how to go about arranging this, however.  World genning still scares me.

Has anybody messed about with related modding?

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rockless World
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:58:47 pm »

Some unexpected results from my tests:

I added the [SOIL] tag to all entries in the matgloss_stone_layer file.  Now when I dig them out, no rock is left behind.

However, when viewed from the Z level above the rock, the colour associated with every tile appears to be random, and changes with every single frame.

So, in the end it works, but may induce seizures.  Come to think of it... that's rather similar to DF as a whole...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:42:27 pm »

Someone else had the same problem when they deleted all soils.

The problem is, the game is hardcoded to build worlds with certain parts.  You need at least one soil, one layer rock, and one lava rock to get a complete world.  Otherwise you get what you got, a stone layer lacking any properties
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:49:53 am »

Am I correct in assuming there is no tag such as 'undiggable' that can be used for rock types?

EDIT:
I've managed to convert to soil all rocks except for OBSIDIAN and the METAMORPHIC rocks.  Messing with those results in the kaleidoscope affect.  Gonna continue experimenting with it.  There must be a way!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:32:02 am by DaveLawson »

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:59:04 am »

Okay, fine.  I give up for now.  The christmas lights have overwhelmed me.

Perhaps if I explained my motives it might make more sense.  I want to create a mod wherein stone is only acquired via digging through the ruins of other buildings (using smelter and a new ore type).  Because these intact concrete slabs will be fairly rare, it will prohibit gratuitous trapping.  However, I do want some traps as I intend for the trafficking of slaves to be an important part of the economy.

Hence, I need mining to dig through the rubble.  And I need mechanics enabled to build cage traps.  And I need masons in order for the player to be able to build smelters.

Perhaps if I created a flat world (somehow) with an aquifer just below the surface (again somehow) it would suit my needs.

What I don't want is the slaver community living underground with a slew of traps guarding them from all harm.

Unless someone has a great idea for limiting stone use, I'm just gonna have to stick with disabling mechanics shops, I guess, and move on to modding the plant life to prohibit subterranean farming.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:07:53 pm »

Actually it will limit only you, so the nice decision is not to do what you don't want to do :). However some people just cannot limit themselves... Or there may be a real need in something flavour-wise.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:50:56 pm »

Oh, I think a good many folks are quite happy to play DF with one hand tied behind their back.  Hell, most vets do, no doubt.

Problem is that if you want to introduce a player to your mod, it helps if you don't have to tell him, oh and don't dig up rock, and please don't build a bajillion stonefall traps in your entrance, and please don't use overpowered xbows, etc etc.

Ah well, I'll worry about it later, for now I'll mess with farming.

On that note, any idea if it's possible to affect the yield of a particular crop other than by it's duration?  The wiki seems to indicate that it can't be done, but I have limited faith in wikis, and so pose that question.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:25:02 pm »

..The Dwarf Fortress wiki is RARELY wrong.
I will not say never, because it has been in the past.
But most generally it's right on all accounts.
This being one of them.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries