Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Six Degree Suggestions  (Read 1041 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Six Degree Suggestions
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:12:23 am »

Well, rather than come up with my own bright ideas, I had the somewhat dim idea to rather take six similar ideas posted around the forum and rather than build on them together, link them in novel ways to create a super-suggestion that may even fill out the entire contents of an arc. This is only the first of many of such 'six degrees' I plan to make.

Six Degrees of Crafting:

1st Degree; Skill Synergy
Similar to the recently created thread (find it yourself, I'm too lazy to), but with a slight change. Instead of skills working as they do now, they should be a generalization of a specific group of skills. For example, mining; experience in mining would reflect the total experience gained in say, 'pick swinging' 'mineral identification' and strength [the attribute], which would all be individual, but invisible skills. However, the experience shown in mining would be capped by the so called 'main attribute', which in this case might be 'pick swinging'. So a legendary stonecrafter would have high skill in mineral identification, but since they had no pick swinging skill, the mining skill wouldn't be displayed. However, since they have this skill in mineral identification, they'd still have an advantage over any other dwarf off the block (not counting attribute gains). This would make skill bleed effectively invisible (and therefore you don't have all your legendary stonecrafters skilled in mining), but still have a noticeable effect.

This makes fighting much more interesting. Say the axedwarf skill has under it the subskills 'strong attack', 'medium attack', and 'light attack' (not necessarily all of the skills under it). An axedwarf could have great skill in making heavy strong attacks, but would be unable to maneuver quickly and make light attacks. Or perhaps a dwarf has a specific skill in armor using that counters a specific type of attack (e.g. one dwarf with armor using has a high skill in blocking strong attacks). This would facilitate 'fighting styles' that have been suggested. But more on that later.

The second part of this suggestion is to group materials into subgroups, with which skills are automatically associated. For example, we might put 'marble' and 'gneiss' together under 'banded stone'. Anyone working with banded stone, whether it be a miner or a stonecrafter, would gain experience in 'banded stone', thus creating a more in-depth skill bleed without going into specific materials. This ties into the next suggestion...

2nd degree; Material Identification
There was a thread sometime ago suggesting that dwarves should only see 'wood', with an acute knowledge of stone and metals, should be able to easily identify them, while elves and humans would be able to identify wood very easily, but only see 'light stone/dark stone', 'so and so color metal', etc... Tying this in with the first degree, any entity would require skill in working with the specific group the material was in order to identify it. For example, take a fresh new peasant, with no skill in the previously mentioned group 'banded stone'. Initially, they'd only be able to identify the super-group that marble and gneiss are in, in this case 'white/light stone'. So all marble and gneiss, when zoomed to would say 'white stone'. But as they gained experience in working with marble and gneiss, they'd slowly come to the realization that this 'banded stone' was different from other 'white stone'. So now you'd be able to identify banded stone, as compared to lumping all white stone together as 'white stone'. But as you became more experienced in banded stone, you'd come to realize the differences between marble and gneiss. Thus, you make the final distinction and you can identify 'marble' and 'gneiss'. This becomes important in the case of similar minerals that are of different color; for example, felsite is somewhat similar to rhyolite, but they'd initially be classed in different groups, 'light stone' and 'dark stone' respectively. But a somewhat skilled craftdwarf would be able to recognize that even though they are different colors, they have some similarity. An even more skilled craftdwarf would be able to see their exact stone names. This makes the next degree far more important...

3rd Degree; Schools/Apprenticeship
In dwarven schools/apprenticeships, the knowledge of rock could be passed on, e.g. be able to pass on at least familiarity of all materials/creatures/etc... to new dwarves. This leads to things such as martial schools, where knowledge of how to fight specific enemies can form (e.g. Urist McChampion is a master at a heavy fighting style, and can teach recruits the finer points of bashing their enemies to bits), or perhaps a mining apprenticeship (e.g. Urist McMiner is teaching young Bormek McMiner how to identify banded stone, and how to best wield a pick). This would be especially useful for the next degree...

4th Degree; Bring back the Guildmasters!
The 3rd degree and 2nd degrees have specific implications in this. It was suggested that guildmasters come back, but with functions. Now, in addition to their suggested attributes (which I won't reiterate), they become invaluable teaching tools. My guess is that guildmasters would have at least 'skilled', or any analog to 'skilled', in every subskill under their sphere, and therefore be able to identify every material and teach every material their guild controls. They'd prove invaluable in giving your crafters/fighters a head-start (e.g. The Head of the Stonecrafters Guild teaches all your fledgling new stonecrafters 'familiar' (or analogous) skill in every stone group, giving them at least a small headstart as compared to if they had simply dove into stonecrafting, or the Head of the Fighters Guild teaches all your new recruits the finer points of dodging arrows).

As later suggested, guilds could house specific 'houses of thought'. E.g. one stonecrafter guild could be especially skilled in working with banded stone, but perhaps not so great at working with any other type of stone, while another stonecrafter guild is incredibly skilled at working stonecrafter tools (whatever the 'main' skill of stonecrafting would be), but is not too familiar with any particular type of stone. This could create inter-fortress tensions similar to how Toady wants religions to eventually do. This also lends to 'fighting styles'. The House of Flying Axes could teach their axedwarf recruits legendary light attack moves, but the House of Decapitation would teach their axedwarf recruits how to swiftly take off heads with heavy attack moves.

Another function of guildmasters would forever prevent trade injustices. Remember that traders aren't always necessarily masters at their craft; a human trader might not know the difference between gneiss (value 1) and marble (value 2), e.g. they'd be lukewarm to trust your dwarves telling them that their white stone crafts are in fact more valuable marble (a cool note with this, you could trick traders into thinking that your pyrite goods were actually gold!). However, they would be completely trusting of the guildmaster. You could order guildmasters to the trading depot as you do your trader, and they would mediate trade. (In order to balance this though, perhaps guildmasters are under some great oath to always tell the truth about what material they are trading, thus why you could not order the guildmaster to the depot). This goes into our 5th degree...

5th Degree; Fluctuating Prices
You know when your trader sets the prices for certain types of goods? Basically like that, except it happens in real-time. Toady has stated he wants to shy away from a real supply-demand system, and I think such a system wouldn't really fit into DF (although, naturally capping the price of mass-produced cheap stone goods actually does have some merit to it, but I digress). Rather, nobles should instate price mandates, depending on their own personal likes (e.g. Urist McNoble likes marble, has mandated all marble objects be sold with at 200% price), and give us something to like about noble mandates. Another thing, such as the banning of trade of a specific type of item could increase the price in outlying entities, given that the object is now in demand. This ties into the 4th degree in that traders could only be told that a specific material which was mandated to be sold at 50% value was 'alunite' and at 200% 'marble', but they only know both as white stones. Your dwarves may have some luck in convincing the traders that your expensive crafts are in fact marble, but a guildmaster would have the greatest sway in convincing the traders that your crafts are marble. A special note though, that you should be able to specifically choose whether or not a guildmaster is present at the trade depot to oversee trading. It should be that 'guildmasters never lie', so by having the guildmaster 'missing' while you are trading would let you trick unsuspecting merchants. Merchants which have been tricked (they should find out as soon as they return to their parent civilization), however, should get relatively angry, and even siege your fort if you do it too often. This ties into out sixth and final degree...

6th Degree; Better Crafting Control
All of these steps lead up to a demand for better crafting control. If we want to make 6 ashen beds specifically, by god give us the tools to make six ashen bed specifically. However, the way these specific options appear should be like the way reactions occur at the furnace. Only if you can identify the material, and have the material present, should you be presented the option. This would significantly cut down on unnecessary screen clutter, and possibly make a brute-force system viable.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:09:33 pm by Normandy »

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Six Degree Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:15:10 pm »

I for one welcome new ways to cheat goods out of elvish hands, at zero cost.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:51:16 pm »

nice! this sounds like it would make trading much more enjoyable. to me. (also: i would finally be able to ask for 10 orpiment statues, instead of asking for 100 statues and hoping for the best.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:54:40 pm »

Dude, apprenticeship is better than school, and since you asked for guilds, you'll have apprenticeship in the guild halls, the assigned master gets more experience for teaching about social skills and and their craft skills, as does the child, eventually, when they actually do the rite of passage and becomes one of the guild.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:56:15 pm by Foa »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 02:41:12 pm »

I don't like the school idea I really cant see a couple dwarfs going and sitting at desks and learning. I think apprenticeship is the dwarfy way to go. They go to say the mayor or better the manager and he goes and finds a highly skilled dwarf says you want extra money? Bring this dwarf along with you and teach him what he knows until he is no longer a novice(or whatever you choose).

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:03:44 pm »

maybe the other dwarves learn faster when their teacher is a guildmaster with social skills.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 08:17:18 pm »

In the guild system of old only masters were allowed to teach. Apprentices turned into journeymans and traveled to perfect their craft. I imagine a fledgling journeyman would be proficient at least before being kicked out the door. But I detailed all this crap in the book thread already I think

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:02:56 am »

Instead of representing skill by a single level, we could interprete it as a set of separate abilities. The skill number would be a pattern of 0's and 1's rather than a number. A legendary would be 1111111, an unskilled dwarf 00000000. A dwarf halfway between could be either 10001001 or 001100010 or whatever. What's the difference? They can only learn from dwarves that have the parts of the skill that they don't know yet.

With the speed that dwarves gain skill now, that doesn't really matter yet, but once a more realistic learning curve and artifact rarity is implemented, it might actually make sense to send a dwarf to another civ or fortress to exchange skills. They might send some your way too, of course. Especially if you have an impressive settlement.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:18:50 am »

^^^
Excellent idea. Combining it with another idea, we could say that only the first so many can be learned through messing around in the workshop, and the rest have to be taught.

Other idea (near the last paragraph):
OP:

1. I think the skill synergy thread is probably better for this--it should be simple enough to add tags to experience point values, and I don't see how this would help.

2.This is an excellent idea. However, I'd bet that dwarves, who've lived all their life underground, can recognize some rocks right away.

3. While apprenticeship is better for learning, IMO, each dwarf in a profession could belong to a "school of thought," which gives certain bonuses as a tradeoff for certain detriments. For example, a miner could belong to a school that lets him mine faster, but does not help him identify ores or gems. A larger guild space would be good, though, for trading information by talking shop with other people in the buisiness.

4. Yes, I'll agree to this. I imagine that the guildmasters would be legendary in their respective professions.

5. Eh, I'm warey of this. I can't say anything specific, so I'd have to see it if it gets implemented.

6. Yes, but the brute force method might not work with professions with a lot of raw materials. One way to fix this is to hide materials unless you select an already added task and then [ s ]pecify materials. Then you'd be taken to a typing interface, like with the trade depot, where you could specify the material. The material could remain highlighted for the next task you specify. It's easier to do with the manager screen, though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:00:17 pm by bjlong »
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:37 pm »

I applaud the effort to combine multiple other suggestions into one umbrella suggestion. It is the kind of work we as the community can do to make Toady's life easier : hand him one manuscript he can edit as he likes instead of 1464546113 napkins with scribbles.

However, it is probably best to provide links to the original threads so people can actually see what is suggested there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 06:35:17 pm »

I'll reply in no specific order.

@People Suggesting Apprenticeship vs. Schooling:
Eh. Either way works. It's just the concept of training dwarves that I'm looking for, but I'll change it to fit better.

@Orthob:
Yeah, but not all of these suggestions are best espoused by a single thread, and often I can no longer find the thread that I remember getting the idea from (example is school/apprenticeship/whatever you want to call it, I've molded many ideas I've found from many different threads together). I'd really appreciate it if you could help by posting links to these threads. I'll try and post up some later.

@bjlong:
thanks for the link, it looks very interesting. I agree much with your C&C, I'll edit some to update. But I'm rather neutral on the skill synergy thing, because the version I propose, though a little bit less clean, I felt fits in more with the other five suggestions.

@Silverionmox:
That idea actually sounds surprisingly good. Integers are 4 bytes (32 bits), so that could lead to quite some variety. A miner might become legendary at a very low skill level (comparatively), perhaps with only half filled skills, but to become a legendary +5 or something they'd need all of those skills filled.

Actually, perhaps a hybrid system would be even better. Each skill would be broken into a number of subskills (like the skill synergy thread) which can be shared between skills (once again, skill synergy thread), but with 'schools of thought' capping these skills. In fact, one could even have multiple guilds (and guildmasters) for the same skill that would come to your fortress, and perhaps create interesting fortress tensions, similar to what Toady wants to do with religion. Materials could be grouped into different groups (e.g. banded stones, hardwoods) and skills based off them, and if one is skilled with working with a group of materials, one could identify the entire group.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »

One other thing-- it could be that there are several school masters, but only one guild master, selected from the school masters, by something like popular vote, appointment, and other things. That might have to wait for the diplomacy arc, though.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 10:51:35 am »

^^^
Excellent idea. Combining it with another idea, we could say that only the first so many can be learned through messing around in the workshop, and the rest have to be taught.
Who taught the teacher then?

Minor quibble to "You learn fast when being taught, but extremely slow when not".

This also leads to interesting 'don't let him die! He's the only one who knows X!!!' problems, and the net knowledge value of your fortress growing over time.  (One dwarf could, from scratch, learn up to master in his lifetime from scratch, but if traineed up to Master while he's young, could eventually reach grandmaster... etc)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 12:06:55 pm »

Well, I thought it would be because hundreds of dwarves had been making small improvements over many years, and passing them down from master to apprentice. A completely unskilled worker could guess at some of them, but the really advanced things would need a teacher.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 01:34:54 pm »

Well, I thought it would be because hundreds of dwarves had been making small improvements over many years, and passing them down from master to apprentice. A completely unskilled worker could guess at some of them, but the really advanced things would need a teacher.
Right, I like that, but it needs to be in...  We don't need another first anvil situation...