Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playable Civ without CAN_SPEAK?  (Read 975 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Playable Civ without CAN_SPEAK?
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:01:51 pm »

Just curious if anyone had ever tried playing a civ without CAN_SPEAK in fortress mode. Any odd effects to it?

I'd just go ahead and check myself, but I probably won't have a chance for a few days.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Playable Civ without CAN_SPEAK?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:15:38 pm »

Don't know about fortress mode.

Works fine in adventurer. I seem to remember it's bugged in that you can actually talk to other intelligent creatures even if your adventurer race is missing [CAN_SPEAK]

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »

Check out kobold camp for an awesome race that uses [UTTERANCES] tag
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:22:56 pm »

What are the effects of the UTTERANCES tag in Fortress mode? Any noticeable ones?

Thinking about it, I doubt a creature without CAN_SPEAK would get any social skills. Interesting. Does that apply to uttering creatures too? Or do they still get the speaking skills?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:13 pm »

What are the effects of the UTTERANCES tag in Fortress mode? Any noticeable ones?

Thinking about it, I doubt a creature without CAN_SPEAK would get any social skills. Interesting. Does that apply to uttering creatures too? Or do they still get the speaking skills?

Check out kobold camp for yourself. It's pretty awesome. I can't notice any differences for the utterances tab.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 07:12:16 pm »

Ok, good to know.

I'm sure I'll get around to checking it out at some point, but as I said I probably won't have a chance for a few days.
Come play Mafia with us!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:07:48 pm »

[UTTERANCES] takes a species' language and turns it into an unreadable mess that is constantly changing. This means that a playable race with the utterances tag's names change every couple months or so. Names of places in their language will also change.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:45:17 pm »

Interesting.

My plans for tonight got canceled, so I decided to give the non-speaking fortress a try. Not too workable. They'll do whatever jobs you have enabled but can't have any given or removed. Would make for an interesting challenge.

I'm going to try them with utterences now, we'll see if that's all they needed.

EDIT: Ok, so you have to have utterences with INTELLIGENT to give them orders. Interesting.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:23:43 am by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!