Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Listen" command in Adventure mode?  (Read 1621 times)

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
"Listen" command in Adventure mode?
« on: December 23, 2006, 06:06:00 am »

I don't think I've seen anything like this in the dev. pages, but I found myself wondering on my last adventure character if it would be possible somehow to locate unseen friends and enemies relative to the player's location? This came up because I noticed that the drunks and other members I recruit seem to have some sort of enemy radar and promptly disappear to go find the biggest enemy they can. So while they do this, I wind up running around the cave getting combat text about what's going on, but I can never find where the minotaur battle is taking place. Because of this, I was wondering if you plan on implementing some feature to allow the player to 'locate' current action spots on the map (as suggested, listening and figuring out which direction the fighting is coming from). Obviously, there might be some problems involving the multiple levels of the caves and stuff, but its just a suggestion.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: "Listen" command in Adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »

The people traveling with you don't have radar -- they can just see in the dark, which is going to be fixed when I do lighting.

There are a few vague sentences on dev about sound -- you should be able to hear sounds for full announcements that would have occurred, and when appropriate it can use some kind of sound marker, perhaps . -> o -> O cycling (where . is a central dot maybe), to indicate where these occurred.  If there are more than one, you'd have to be able to hilight them to view the related sound announcment.  You shouldn't always be able to tell where sounds come from though.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »

"You hear a nearby zap."
"You die."

Egg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »

NPC torches and basic "Stop charging at anything that looks at you funny" group commands are much more logical solutions to the problem than listening. But logic is NO FUN AT ALL.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:57:00 am »

On a related topic, I think it would be nice to add messages about smell as well, that are tied to events/things in the map.

For instance, if something is burning, you get a "you smell smoke" message... if there are zombies around, "You smell rotting flesh", etc.

Is this really implementable?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

Miasma and smoke are implemented as the flows you see in dwarf mode, so you could have an interface to smell them if you are right on top of them in adventure mode.  If you can't see, this could convey some information without having to add anything more CPU intensive.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>There are a few vague sentences on dev about sound -- you should be able to hear sounds for full announcements that would have occurred, and when appropriate it can use some kind of sound marker, perhaps . -> o -> O cycling (where . is a central dot maybe), to indicate where these occurred.  If there are more than one, you'd have to be able to hilight them to view the related sound announcment.  You shouldn't always be able to tell where sounds come from though.</STRONG>
Adding any kind of sound would be very helpful for navigating in the dark.

"You hear the thundering footsteps of a giant to the north"

"Strudgherth(ally) has engaged combat in the southeast, and is striking down way more enemies then you"

"You hear sounds of creatures fighting / dying to the south"

"You are being fired upon from the west! You can tell by the dreadful sound of arrows being notched" :P

I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »

I suppose elves could hear better then?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.