Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The QuiteBoringReally Tale of Hairlens  (Read 1056 times)

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
The QuiteBoringReally Tale of Hairlens
« on: January 10, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »

A tale of dwarven endurance, untold wealth, and Skeletal ****ing Horses.

History of Razescerol, "Hairlens"
as chronicled by Rovod Zatammafol
The fort was founded in 203.
Rovod "Cloutchambers" earned Master Record Keeper status in Autumn of 204 and began this great chronicle from the Fortress logbook.  His manuscript follows:

Spring, 203
Well, it all started in the home town, Othôsvabôk, when Fath Eraltölún, Queen of The Wilted Orb, caught me trying to steal one of her mules.  I just can't resist the creatures - you just have to admire their stubbornness.  Anyway, afterwards she claimed she had "good news" - I should have been wary, the glint of malice was in her ☼Crystal glass eye☼, but I never was more than a dabbling Judge of Intent - I was to lead an expedition to found a new fortress.  The name was to be Razescerol, or as it is known in Allspeak, "Hairlens".
Owing to a dreadful beaurocratic cock-up (the Local Leader îton Alåthïdath still denies the accusations that Her Beardiness bribed him), we didn't have time to prepare for the journey carefully.  So we found ourselves in the middle of nowhere, with a Miner, a Woodcutter, a Fisherdwarf, a Fish Cleaner, a Jeweler, a dwarf with practically no skills whatsoever, and an Engraver (me).  Now, far be it from me to criticise Jewelry, but I don't see what earthly use a Jeweler could be to us right now.
It wasn't long before I'd got the basics laid down, and started training Ast Zonseng (our good-for-nothing unskilled dwarf) as a Carpenter.  I also learned the trade of Mason - it's hard to make a decent fort without doors.

EDIT: If anyone wants to take this place over and turn it into a succession game, just ask!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:21:26 pm by soundandfury »
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
Re: The Epic Tale of Hairlens
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:23:24 pm »

Summer, 203
I'll let the fortress log speak for itself here:
Cog Bimerar, Woodcutter cancels Fell Tree: Interrupted by Skeletal Horse.
SKELETAL HORSE?  For the love of Armok, what hellish place is this?  Now I know why that blasted Fath Eraltölún was so smug - she was sending us to a land filled with skeletons raised up by some dreadful act of necromancy.
Oh, and we have a litter of puppies and a kitten.  I must remember to cage up the cats - I've heard nasty stories about runaway breeding...
DF Designer

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:25:23 pm »

Autumn, 203
Well, the merchants came.  They didn't bring a lot with them, but that's OK because I didn't have a lot to trade.  Mainly because I was still struggling to get this place going.  I tell you, a more lazy, shiftless bunch of dwarves I cannot imagine.  At one point EVERY BONE-IDLE ONE OF THEM was ASLEEP!  Imagine what could have happened if one of those Skeletal Horses had got in!
Also, we haven't had any migrants yet.  Maybe someone told them about the undead skeletons about the place...
I ordered the construction of a tower above the entrance.  I plan to fill it with marksdwarves, and gradually build curtain walls outwards.  We'll show those damned skeletons who's boss!

Winter, 203
We've struck Alexandrite.  That would mean there's something for Asmel Lokumkadol (our Jeweler) to do, but really there are far more important things than building him a workshop.  I'm training him up as a Miner.  He seems to have some flair for it.  I'm also retraining îton Budamushat, our Fisherdwarf, as a farmer.  I don't want her going outside to fish when those nasties are around (she's too pretty to die), but we've got to get food somehow, so Farming it is.  The same applies to our Fish Cleaner Urist Ilraludar.
We've also hit some Bismuthinite.  If we ever get things running well enough for a metal industry, that might come in handy.  However, it doesn't look likely.  Part of the reason might be this (from the fortress logbook)...
Cog Bimerar, Woodcutter cancels Fell Tree: Interrupted by Skeletal Rhesus Macaque.
As if skeletal horses weren't enough, there's frigging Rhesus Macaques too!
I have a bad feeling about this place...
DF Designer

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:30:34 pm »

Spring, 204
The Planter Urist Ilraludar tried to mark the change of season with a party.  I told him firmly that we had no time for rest and recreation if we were to build a fort strong enough to keep those skeletons out.  He didn't seem convinced, but he followed orders anyway.  At least these dwarves know who's boss around here.  Thank Armok for small mercies!
We had more trouble with those Skeletal Rhesus Macaques - one chased poor Cog Bimerar all round the map, but in the end I told him to take his axe to the damn thing (thank Armok he's a Woodcutter and so had a weapon with him!).  Before long it was over and the skeleton was destroyed.  Maybe they aren't so tough after all...
Shortly afterwards, a caravan of elves turned up, trying to sell us the usual rubbish.  We traded them some worthless trinkets for a few seeds.  They didn't have any good stuff like Sun berries or Wild strawberries, so we had to make do with Fisher berries, Rope reed and crap like that.
For some reason, they didn't want to leave (perhaps they were afraid to run the gauntlet of the Skeletal Rhesus Macaques again), but I dismantled the Trade Depot to make it clear they'd outstayed their welcome.  Once they'd gone I put it back up again, of course.  It did mean that I got all of their stuff, and I got back the things I'd traded them.  However, I'm not certain they'll be coming back...
More trouble with Undead:
Mosus Alåthsalul, Miner cancels Construct Building: Interrupted by Zombie Rhesus Macaque.
For the love of Armok!  Zombies too!
A Zombie Rhesus Macaque has stolen a (Rope reed cloth)!
And they steal things!
A joyous day: after a long and arduous courtship, I tied the knot with îton Budamushat the Planter.  In the circumstances (zombie attacks, etc.) we decided that throwing a party would be inappropriate.
We also ran out of empty barrels.  Cog had to stop brewing booze because there was nothing to put it in.  Hopefully our Carpenter can knock some more together - that's if it's safe to go outside for wood...
All of a sudden, migrants turned up!  Clearly no-one told them about the Zombies and the Skeletons.  They're a bunch of useless gits, too - now we have two jewelers!  We also have metalcrafters, armorers, weaponsmiths - despite having no source of decent metal ore anywhere (as far as I know, you can't make maces and shields out of pure Bismuth).  We got a Miller though, so I've ordered that we'll plant Cave Wheat this summer, and I've started a windmill on the top of the tower, with a shaft running all the way down to the bottom of the fortress stairwell, and some gears for running millstones off.
Also, we're big enough now to need a Sheriff.  I gave the job to Mafol Sodelrodim.  After all, the only work he knew how to do was dissect fish.  I'm sure his new employment as the arbiter of dwarven Justice will be much more valuable to the fortress.

Summer, 204
Well, I decided that we could do with making this place a bit nicer-looking.  I've told some of the flotsam to learn to engrave.  They can practice on the floor of the quarry area - no-one will care how bad a job they make of smoothing that.
Kikrost Taronïteb, our Craftsdwarf, started babbling madly.  I eventually worked out that he wanted a Glassworks, so I built him one.  Then he demanded raw green glass.  But he wouldn't let anyone into the glassworks to make some.  So I had to build another Glassworks to make him some glass.  Luckily we had a bag to collect sand in (once we'd used up all the seeds that were in it), else we'd have been completely stuffed.  When he finishes whatever he's making in there, it'd better be worth it!
Some more migrants (about four) turned up.  They're all thoroughly useless, so I've assigned a few jobs here and there.  Hopefully some of them will learn some decent skills.
We had some more trouble with the Skeletal Horses.  Logbook again:
Lokum Zasothsin, Recruit has been struck down.
Inod Odshithmörul, dorf has been struck down.
Obok Lolorlisid, dorf has been struck down.
Tun Rithgasol, dorf has been struck down.
I decided that we couldn't run the risk of any more deaths, so I ordered everyone to STAY INSIDE in future!
Sadly, not everyone listened.
Urdim Tekkudnebél, Child has been struck down.
DF Designer

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:46:15 pm »

Autumn, 204
We finally made Kikrost enough glass.
Kikrost Taronïteb, Craftsdwarf has created Ishlum âmid, a green glass amulet!
The Allspeak for the name is... The Nuts of Listening.
And it menaces with spikes of green glass.  It's only worth 9600☼ as well!
So anyway, Kikrost's now a Legendary Glassmaker.  Just as well, really, because we don't have a second Glassmaker anymore...
Sibrek Ementulon, Glassmaker has been struck down.
I guess he decided to ignore the injunction to STAY INDOORS YOU BLOODY FOOLS!  We can't afford to keep losing dwarves like this.  This time it was a Zombie Horse that did for him.  The records say he "loved a good thrill".  They also say he was "extremely cautious", but I don't believe that.  Not after he took a stroll outside in Frigging Zombie Bloody Horse Land.
I reminded everyone that going outside is not permitted.  However, a few of the lads mentioned that I'd given them jobs outside (the windmill system still wasn't finished), so I had to let them go.  The skeletons started chasing them all over the place again.  After a while I decided that they'd built enough of the windmill to all go back inside (The milling system is now up and running.  We are producing plenty of flour to feed the dwarves).  No sooner had I ordered everyone back in, than a caravan from the Mountainhomes turned up.  The Trade Depot is outside (I'm not building a three-lane entry into my fortress.  Not with those zombie bastards around) so I had to cancel the injunction again.  I'm afraid it was rather embarrassing.  I fear I am losing the trust of my dwarves.
Of course, letting everyone out to bring things to the depot brought further tragedy...
Eral Kolnokzam, dorf has been struck down.
I've recruited Kivish Endokvîr into the military and told her to practice Marksdwarfship (a while back we knocked together some crossbows from bones and wood).
We bought the usual rubbish from the caravan (I'm sure Her Beardiness Fath Eraltölún is telling them to bring worthless crap, but the Liaison flatly denies it), and sent them on their way with a load of silly trinkets.
I've had a Sculpture Garden started - a lot of the lads have been getting unhappy what with all the deaths and everything, so they need somewhere to go to cheer them up.  Urist Ilraludar organized a party there.  I didn't feel we could really spare the time but the lads need it so much, so I let them have their fun.  They're still partying away now, and it's almost the end of autumn.
Ducim Vathsithilral went all fey on us and grabbed the Craftsdwarf's Workshop.
A bunch more migrants turned up.  They're a bunch of useless dorfs as usual.  Queen Fath must really hate us.  I wonder what the other six founders did, to get sent here.  But it's me that's lumbered with trying to keep this fort alive.
Ducim was screaming for bones (The turtle bones we'd already given him were, apparently, not enough).  I offered him some of the bones of our dead dwarves, but he wouldn't touch them (strange, given that his deity is associated with sacrifice).  So I ordered that one of our cats and one of our dogs be butchered.  In the end, he created Monomstîgil Nitig Gembish, a turtle bone scepter.  In Allspeak that's "Paperjaw the Bite of Seals".  It's only worth 3600☼.  What a waste of time.  However, now that he's a Legendary Bone Carver, he can make us plenty of bone practice bolts for marksdwarves.  Talking of which, Kivish Endokvîr finally started to get the hang of marksdwarfship.
I have started a Dog Breeding Programme so as to have plenty of bone supplies.
The next entry in the log reveals a tragedy.
Bëmbul Shovethmûthkat, Recruit has gone berserk!
Poor Bëmbul had been injured by one of those undead critters and had been lying in bed ever since.  The inaction must have finally got to him (his leg was broken and didn't seem to want to heal).  Strange to say, no sooner did he go bonkers, than all of a sudden he could walk again - and even run around wrestling workdwarves.  I drafted Urist Ilraludar into the military to deal with him.  Bëmbul's corpse will be interred in due course, as a soldier wounded in the service of the fort he will be buried with honour.  I don't bear grudges against lunatics (even though he broke Olin Lorbamrigòth's arm.  Poor thing's only a little girl.  She'll survive though - she's Tough).
All of a sudden I remembered that there was supposed to be another dwarf in the military.  Question: why didn't Kivish Endokvîr the Marksdwarf deal with Bëmbul?  Answer: He'd fallen down the windmill driveshaft.  I only discovered this when someone told me he'd bled to death.  As a soldier he will, of course, be buried with honour - even if he was a stupid clumsy fool for falling.
I noticed we have two Trappers.  With no-one even allowed outside, I don't see what use they are.  I drafted one of them as a Wrestler, so Urist will have someone to spar with.
I've also started a Cloth industry.  We need to make some bags so that flour production can be speeded up.  Also, the Leatherworks need to start churning out Armor, Quivers and Backpacks for the soldiers.
We're running low on Granite.  I've sent the miners back to the quarry.
Olin Lorbamrigòth's arm's beginning to heal.  With a little luck, she'll be fit as a flea any day soon.
I have attained Grand Master Record Keeper status.  As my Magnum Opus I have started this great chronicle of the History of our fortress Razescerol.  I will continue to record the events of the Fortress (known in Allspeak as "Hairlens") as they unfold.

Winter, 204
I've told the dwarves it's time to bring their party to an end.  Jobs have to be done.
We have struck Cobaltite.  It's not particularly useful but it does make pretty doors.
Olin Lorbamrigòth has made a full recovery.  She doesn't seem any the worse for wear after her injury; in fact she still says she's ecstatic.  One of her reasons is that she "received food lately".  I hope she doesn't get too used to being waited upon.
I have started construction of the tombs, deep in the granite.
One of our young girls, Iden Mörulkun (Olin's sister), wanted to have a party (probably to celebrate Olin's recovery), but I had to say no.  We're far too busy and the last one lasted for ages.
The two wrestlers are gaining XP nicely.  If we can get them any weapons they should make a formidable force.
I had to let everyone out for a bit because I needed the thread and cloth that was lying in the depot outside.  Bad move... we're now being hunted down by a Skeletal Cougar.  I've told everyone to get back indoors, but it might catch one of them first.
SHIT! The Cougar got into the fortress and made a mess of poor Cog Bimerar the Woodcutter.  His right elbow is broken, his lower body and right lower arm are damaged.  However, the cougar's dead now (thanks to Cog's resourceful use of his axe - that's the second critter he's killed.  Maybe I should draft him into the army, as an Axedwarf... yeah, it's not like I can send him out to chop trees down!  When he's recovered, he'll make an awesome Axedwarf - he's Extremely Strong and Extremely Tough)
Ok, Cog's recovered, so he's now an Axedwarf in the army.  Also, we now have a fully-grown Bull.  All we need is for someone to immigrate a heifer and we can start breeding for beef!
We have just received the attentions of Blugubujlinkus the Kobold Thief.
Glory to Armok!  Urist Ilraludar, the Wrestler, has caught the thief and killed it.  Unfortunately, while he and Cog were chasing the first kobold, two more turned up.  Fortunately they did not steal anything.
Truly Armok has a sense of humour.  One of the kobolds has been struck down by our nemesis the Skeletal Horses.  May we always remember that, no matter how many of our own Cuwoetewe ("Leaguescale") the Skeletal Horse may kill, it at least destroyed one of our enemies.  The Kobolds are from a tribe called "Kridis".  We have no idea what that means in Allspeak (our translator just translates it as "Kridis").
Geshud Regatêk the Skilled Wrestler has taken an injury (probably from the kobold attack), a bruised arm.  She's sleeping it off.  No, wait - it's healed enough for her to start sparring again.  It's still lightly damaged, but that won't stop her from sparring!  Now there's a soldier to serve the glory of Armok!
I'm letting the dwarves go outside again.  I need to build a roof for the windmill shaft - there's a column of fortress counted as 'outside' and I think it caused the death of Kivish Endokvîr back in the Autumn.
The miners have just struck Yellow spessartine!  The ancient legendary érith Unáloslan's seminal textbook, "Rocks for All Occasions" (Dwarfbridge University Press) lists it as a 'Semi-precious stone' (érith "Bluntwinds" was a miner in the old fortress of Glacierclasp.  She attained Legendary Miner status and became quite Adept at masonry as well.  On her retirement after a life working with rock, she wrote the definitive guide to the subject.  It is said that her first love was rock, her second was her pick-axe, and her third was Edëm Zuntîrsiknug the glassmaker).  Maybe I'll build that jeweler a workshop when I've improved the anti-zombie defenses.
The roof tile has been built, so now I'm sending everyone back indoors.
Cog Bimerar's just gained Novice Wrestler skill.  He's also starting to learn military axework.  Being Extremely Strong & Tough thanks to his Adept Woodcuttership and Proficient Grower skill, he should make a valuable soldier.  With luck he should reach Axe Lord by Autumn 205 or so.
The Barracks has just filled with a miasma.  Why do people leave rotting food lying around?
I've told Urist Ilraludar and Geshud Regatêk to learn Hammerdwarfship.  It's time they learned to use a weapon.
I've just noticed we've run out of booze.  I have ordered the still to be started up.
Apparently I'm now a Legendary Record Keeper.  However, it doesn't seem to impress any of the publishers - no-one will give me an advance on this manuscript.  Bunch of bloody eedjits wouldn't know literature if it jumped up and bit them in the beard.  Having brought the stockpile records up to Highest Precision, I now have more time for writing.  I also think I'll relearn my old trade of Engraving.  Maybe I'll even get good enough to add illustrations to these Chronicles.
At last some booze.  Logem "Tradedpassage" Nishcustith, one of our Gem Cutters, has been working the still.  I must say though, our Dwarven Wine has been tasting a little vinegary lately.  Hopefully she'll learn quickly.  The records say she "likes to try new things".  Maybe so: she's Dabbling in all trades but Master of none.  I keep asking her to hurry up - the booze isn't flowing fast enough.  Half the fortress are complaining of thirst (we can't even drink water because the water is outside where it's dangerous).
I have had a Siege Workshop built.  We will rain down death upon the skeletal hordes!  As soon, that is, as I finish reading the instruction manual... it was written in the Elven tongue and translated - badly - into dwarvish.
Unfortunately it seems we need wood.  Our stocks ran out a long time ago and going outside is dangerous.  This will call for some careful planning...
I've temporarily removed Cog from the army so that he can join in the woodcutting.  To fill the gap I have drafted Monom Morullikot the Armourer (what bloody use is an armourer when we don't have metal?  Anyway, I have two) to train up as a Marksdwarf.
Mistem Lolorlaz the Engraver has just given birth to a boy, Urvad Tathalath.  I told her that "Duskbolts" was a silly name to give him but she wouldn't listen.
Stupid Leatherworker Aban Ibeshzaneg tried to have a party.  We're far too busy for that.
I have ordered work to be begun on the first curtain wall.  We are also building the first Catapult for our Siege Operators to train up on.
Vabôk Legontirist, a Jeweler by trade, has gone all fey on us.  She has claimed the Mason's Workshop.  I wonder what she will demand.
Great news on the domestic front: îton and I have a baby boy, Litast "Priceclasps" Teshkaddodok.
Vabôk wants glass.  Unfortunately we haven't any bags to collect sand in.  I have sent Sakzul Umrilrakust to the Clothier's Shop.
DF Designer

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »

Spring, 205
We've now got some bags made.  I've sent some idling dwarves to gather sand and make some glass.  Vabôk has started her mysterious construction.  It'd better be more valuable than the last couple of artifacts we got.
Vabôk has created "The Shins of Worry", a Granite throne.  It's worth a good 15600☼ and it menaces with spikes of Nickel silver and green glass.  It's quite nice really.  Vabôk's now a Legendary Miner.
I have a rule, that whenever someone makes an artifact piece of furniture, they get their own office and they get to have the artifact IN their office.  I find that's very good for morale.
Monom Pagedinks is beginning to pick up some skill at Marksdwarfship.  Hopefully he won't go the way of the late lamented Kivish Endokvîr, the last dwarf to train with a crossbow here.
A caravan of Elves has just turned up from Icicacame, "The Stoked Pelts".  I hope they've brought some decent goods...
Mmm, strawberries! (Who says elves never bring any good stuff?)  We've started to get the seeds, so I've had a fruit farm started outside.
Another bunch of migrants.  A Potash Maker?  Ok then, I guess we're going to start using fertiliser on the fields...  A Cheese Maker?  Now that's no use to me at all!  He can become a Miner/Siege Op.  I drafted one of the Peasants into the army - a Macedwarf should come in handy.  The other one can become a farmer.  Fish Cleaner?  I don't need another sodding Fish Cleaner.  These migrants are a bunch of useless Dorfheads!
The time came for us to select a Mayor.  From now on, the person who will have to shoulder the burden of running this place is... still me?  For Armok's sake, isn't it about time someone else took responsibility for this hole in the ground?
In my spare time, I've worked up to Competent Engraver.  So I think I'll do some maps of how the fort's laid out so far - I'm sure you're all gagging to see Hairlens 'in the stone'.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Entrance to the fortress.  Notable features include: the fruit farm to the east, the catapult to the south, the caged animals keeping an eye out for intruders, and the partially-completed curtain wall.
The Dwarven Apartment Block.
The Hairlens Food Halls: Subterranean farm, Food stockpile, Fishery, Kitchen, and the most important building in any fortress, the Still.  To the north, the dining room (and the Sheriff's private dining room.  Bloody nobles).
The Works Quarter: Workshops and Offices.  As you can see there's a slight shortage of doors.  I must remember to have a little talk with our Mason about productivity.  Also, some of the Workshops are connected to each other.  This is because they are part of the same industry.  It's all laid out on the scientific principles of fortress design as laid down by Ingish Mengavuz, Clerk of Glacierclasp.  I studied under him when he taught a few semesters on Fortress Management at the Dwarven University in the Mountainhomes.  Apparently some Philosopher turned up to Glacierclasp one day and told him there was a job open back at the University.  Of course, the Philosopher stayed at Glacierclasp, a drain on its resources.  Philosophers tend to do that.  I hope none turn up here at Hairlens.
As you can see, we've been spending a lot of time training up our Engraving skills by smoothing the quarry floors and walls.
I've put in a self portrait.  It's not completely accurate; I'm not quite that fat in real life...
Back to the chronicling...
Another Skeletal Rhesus Macaque showed up and frightened the farmers.  However, Urist "Treatyrained" Ilraludar soon smashed it to bits with his -Iron war Hammer-.  That's three kills he's got now (if you count poor berserk Bëmbul).  He's one heck of a good soldier.
I'm not sure if it's from the same rhesus macaque, but Ducim "Squaretreaties" Vathsithilral our Legendary Bone Carver just made 15 masterful bone bolts.  It almost seems a shame to shoot them.
SIX SODDING ZOMBIE RHESUS MACAQUES!  Rouse the soldiers!
Well, we killed them all easily.  Monom the Marksdwarf got one, and Urist got the other five with his hammer.  No-one was even slightly wounded.  A bloodless victory for our brave soldiers.
In a fit of unreason I mandated the construction of Lay Pewter items (I do like Lay Pewter).  The dwarves are still trying to work out how they're going to fill that one.
We have struck Olivine.  If "Rocks for All Occasions" is to be believed, then there must be a Gabbro layer around it.  Hopefully it'll have some ore in it somewhere.
There's a Chromite vein in it, but no ore as yet.

Summer, 205
Struck Microcline.  All very well, but it's not an ore, is it?
Asmel Lokumkadol has achieved Legendary Miner status.  Also, we've found still more bismuthinite.  If we had any bronze, that would be really useful.
A bunch of humans have arrived.  It looks like they hope to trade.  I bet they've only brought rubbish, though.  I'm on my way to the depot now to begin bartering.
My term as Mayor has ended.  The Carpenter Ast "Helmrings" Zonseng has taken the helm.  However, as Village Manager I'll still be dealing with long-term strategic decisions.
Well, we bought the usual rubbish in exchange for bins full of trinkets.  I'm meeting with the Guild Rep to ask him to bring lots of metal bars next time.  Some more weaponry would be nice, too.
Bomrek Isethònul the Carpenter has been taken by a fey mood!  He's claimed the Carpenter's Workshop.
Also, I've ordered the dwarves to build a smelter and forge.  I bought some iron trinkets and I want us to melt them down to make into useful stuff.
Bomrek Isethònul has created Bekarison ("Dippedplans" in Allspeak), a Highwood bin.  It is encrusted with Granite, decorated with Oak and encircled with bands of Limestone.  Of course, Bomrek couldn't resist adding menacing spikes (of Highwood).  We dwarves do love our menacing spikes!
We have struck Purple Spinel!  "Rocks for All Occasions" lists it as Semi-precious.  I really must start a jewelry industry.
We have struck Kimberlite!  And Green zircon!  We're finding all sorts of stuff.  Still no metal ores though :(
Still more discoveries - we've struck Wood opal.  "Rocks..." only lists it as Ornamental, but apparently it's still reasonably valuable.
Black pyrope!  Semi-precious.  This Gabbro layer's chock full of gems.
During all this, Mosus "Boltsskin" Alåthsalul attained Legendary Miner status.  That's three legendary miners we've got now.  Also, érith Igathoslan (one of our soldiers) is finally getting the hang of swordsdwarfship.  Soon we'll have quite a formidable army!
With our population at 54, we really need to expand the Dwarven Apartments.  I'll send the miners to work...
We have struck Tanzanite!  "Rocks..." lists it as Semi-precious.  I must get that jewelry industry set up!
That Cheese Maker's successfully remustered to mining.  He's already trained up to Competent.  Also, the gem cutting has begun.
Alas!  érith Igathoslan appears to have sustained heavy wounds during sparring and died from loss of blood.  A sad tragedy.  It seems the accident involved Urist Ilraludar - I guess he didn't know his own strength.
DF Designer

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 05:45:17 am »

I had to laugh at the self portrait. :D

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:02:20 pm »

<out-of-character> By the way, I'm sorry if the recent stuff's a bit boring, but I'm trying to build up enough military to take on the skeletal so-and-sos.  Also, is any of this sufficiently interesting to anyone for me to carry on or should I not bother?
DF Designer