Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make pregnancy obey population limits  (Read 1729 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Make pregnancy obey population limits
« on: August 28, 2007, 06:41:00 am »

I have my population capped at 50 (slow computer). However, I have just under 70 dwarves. why? I got alot of couples and they keep having children!

almost 1/3rd my total population is children at this point, and it keeps getting worse because my dwarves are having children faster then I lose adults meaning I never get any more skilled labor from immigration. I've actually started considering drowning them all next time they have a party   :mad:   :mad:   :mad:

The game should check the pop cap before it makes any more children be born, because this is ridiculous.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Make pregnancy obey population limits
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:00 am »

Hey, just what type of parties are they anyway?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

adude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:18:00 am »

I'm getting a very "Red China" vibe here.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

If your population cap is set to 50, it only means that whenever you have less than 50 dwarves you will get a wave of migrants. Natural multiplication cannot be capped.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

Do we have rubber trees available?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

Hi!

I don't really see your problem. If you have so few deaths in the population, you should have very skilled adults by now so that any projects they do are dealt with quickly - in fact much quicker than your immigrants would be.

Personally, I think children, along with nobles, are good to have around to handle harvesting and to have a higher chance of someone actually pulling the right lever before catastrophy strikes.

Not to mention their worth for moving goods to the trade depot.

If you really hate your children, put up a few dagger weapon traps next to the chasm (if you have an active chasm, that is). Ratmen seem to get stuck in them regularly, and children and nobles (only the latter verified by myself) are prime candidates for cleaning jobs of that kind - which are, of course, high risk jobs.

Still, I don't think you should murder the next generation of your fortress.

Deathworks

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

The problem is twofold.

First, I don't get any adult immigrants and my people are having children faster then I lose dwarves. This means every dwarf lost (and some are unavoidable, I've had terrible luck with fey moods and I don't flood the world or use splatbridges for sieges) is lost for good, or at least for 10 or 15 or whatever number of years before children turn into adults.

Second, and most important - I set it to 50 for a reason, namely my computer is kinda old and any more then 50 and my FPS start to tank. Children might not be as bad as adults but it's enough to drop my FPS much lower then I would like. My population is also constantly inching UP, not down, and it will only get worse.

FWIW not counting nobles and the hopelessly crippled,  I am nearly at half children now.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »

Did you try turning VSync off? It usually double the FPS rate of this game.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

Sadly, much like the real world, you can't keep people from going at it.

Plus the pop cap doesn't work so well anyway. Random immigrants still have a tendency to come regardless, and nobles will always break this cap by a few.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

I don't have vsynch on (I actually don't even have the tool that forces it on installed) so it's not that. It's just that my cpu is only an athelon 2000+ (1.6ghz). I can get 100 fps up till around 50 dwarves and it drops off rapidly after that. 70 puts me at around 45 - 50. Some people say 100 fps is too fast but I like it after spending a week at 15 fps in my second fortress which had 200ish dwarves.

Edit: oh and immigrants only put you  over the cap once - if you have say 45 dwarves and a cap of 50, you might get 10 immigrants and put you to 55. you won't get any more immigration waves (besides nobles) till you go below 50. that part works well enough.

[ August 28, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 02:05:00 am »

Hi!

Sorry, but my experience with pop cap is different:

Pop Cap 6: Two waves of normal immigrants in the first year, IIRC - has been quite a while.

Pop Cap 30: Immigration (including maybe 3 or 4 nobles) brought me to 48 dwarves. I am sure that I did get normal immigrants after we got above 30 (well, it may be that the pop cap is actually dependant on the dwarven caravan, which would explain a lot).

Deathworks

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 02:08:00 am »

quote:
I don't have vsynch on (I actually don't even have the tool that forces it on installed)

Then you must not have a graphic card in your computer at all.
quote:
Some people say 100 fps is too fast but I like it after spending a week at 15 fps in my second fortress which had 200ish dwarves.

After much experimentation, I find that I way prefer the speed to be around 45-50FPS than 100. at 100FPS, you don't have the time to react to everything. Especially dangerous situations.
I am on a hot streak... literally.