Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quiver markup?  (Read 1457 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Quiver markup?
« on: January 02, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

Don't remember this one suggested, though that doesn't mean it wasn't, but meh.

Being sometimes deprived of all souces of entertainment except my GBA, I have played a roguelike called POWDER, and there I saw a feature that would somewhat reduce the hassle with making throwing side-weapons for adventure mode.
It's what I call "quiver markup", and it basically means that you can go to your inventory, designate ANY item in there as ammo, and then use the "Fire" button to launch any one of them using whatever is available.
The system prefers items that have specific damage, and items that match a weapon in your hand, so you won't be lobbing excess boots when you have bolts for your crossbow, and will rather switch to available throwing knives when those run out. Also, any item that was once quivered retains that setting, so when you pick it up, you don't have to quiver it again.
The benefit is, of course, easily setting up batches of rocks and other items to lob at enemies later, with literally "a press of a button".
The side effect is having to manually quiver up arrows that you pick up, unless a sort of "autoquiver" tag is implemented for weapons, that will quiver those automatically as you pick them up.

I've no idea as to actual implementation, or how theoretically difficult it could be (though I can guess), so I'm just throwing the idea out there. Discuss.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quiver markup?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Um...why not simply (t)hrow things if you run out of ammo? Besides, it's more realistic to throw a rock than shoot it with a bow. It would be easier to designate something for throwing.

[ January 02, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

Have you ever used an auto-quiver?
(t)hrowing requires that each time you go to throw an item you have to select which item you want to throw.  But if you have 900 of them and set it as your Ammo, then when you press (t) it just brings up the "target?" designation and skips the "what ammo do you want THIS time?" because, well, it knows.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »

I agree. The ability to press a button, (is lower-case q used for anything?) and designate a specific item(s) to be thrown at some later time would be useful.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

A recent discussion has urged me to post here again with a quite more feasible idea for actually "quivering" all sorts of objects.

This idea is so mindboggingly straightforward that I had not thought about it.

Have the "F" fire button throw or fire any object THAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR QUIVER!!! "F"iring an arrow with a bow in hand would use the bow, while "F"iring a stone, even with a bow in hand, would use the throwing skill. Nice, easy and very much implementable, methinks.  :D

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

What about when you're carrying a bunch of different objects that you throw in different circumstances?  That stack of coins is fine when I'm murdering kobold children or whatever, but I prefer to be throwing things that do piercing damage once I come up against a real enemy.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

It will probably be set to use the most appropriate ammo for the weapon you are carrying. A sling will shoot any small object, a bow will shoot arrows, no weapon will cause you to throw anything you have.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I like this idea. I don't think it should require that you have a physical quiver; I would prefer that hitting 'q' just select an item and then remember that item type until you change the setting.

quote:
Originally posted by JoRo:
<STRONG>What about when you're carrying a bunch of different objects that you throw in different circumstances?  That stack of coins is fine when I'm murdering kobold children or whatever, but I prefer to be throwing things that do piercing damage once I come up against a real enemy.</STRONG>

You could hit 'q' again and select whatever type of ammo you want. You could also have an option to reset it to how it works now, either by going 'Q' (or 'q' then '1' if it doesn't warrant a hotkey). There could also be a message at the top of the screen while targetting like "Firing: Small rock" to make it easier to tell what you're using, and if you don't like the system you can just rebind 'q' (and possibly 'Q') to get rid of the feature.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.