Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retracting bridges and magma-construction  (Read 905 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retracting bridges and magma-construction
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:07:49 pm »

So, I've always wanted to construct one of those grand undersea fortresses using obsidian and unholy numbers of screw pumps (previous attempts have met with little success, mainly because I haven't been able to figure out where to put wall once I've used the screw pumps.). My most recent attempt involved pumping magma onto a platform of retracting bridges the size of the block I wanted to build the fortress in. However, I ran into some problems due to lack of scaffolding. My masons were killed in tragic insta-caveins while trying to build walls off of bridge. I know how to solve this problem, but I have another question:

I'd like to be able to make a multi level fortress, in deep ocean. If a retracting bridge is supported solely by another retracting bridge, does it collapse if the bridges are triggered via lever? I intend to make a 31x31 obsidian block, and that means that there will be four central bridges with no support except other bridges...which need to retract to let the magma out.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Retracting bridges and magma-construction
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:12:54 pm »

I don't think you can build a bridge supported solely by another bridge, can you?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:42:29 pm »

Wiki says you can, if it's retracting.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:23:01 pm »

Wouldn't it be safer to just build a rock square around the dump zone and make that support all the bridges you want inside it?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:02:40 pm »

Right, yes, brilliant, except: I want a larger square than that. The maximum size for bridges does not allow for a square larger than 20x20 without extra supports of some kind.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 04:26:20 pm »

Well you could always split the mold in 4 parts, each one higher than the last

You'd have to deconstruct the lower ones once that part is above sea level to get an even coat since the higher molds would overlap a bit