Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 667 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sunglasses
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:51:37 pm »

Gem or Green-Glass Sunglasses for those races that hate the sun, so they won't be so bothered by it when they have to go outdoors. This may be moddable item, if so I have no idea how it would be done though.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »

8)

It's a good idea, if only for reasons of fashion sense, but I would suspect that part of the dwarfs' physiological problem with the sun has to do with their skin (I know a bad sunburn can make *me* nauseous), so that you might be looking at the necessity for a facemask, as well as full body covering, including gloves, a cloak with a hood, maybe a helmet, etc.

But yeah, dwarfs with the ZZ-Top look are definitely a go.
For they would be your masters.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:55:47 pm »

In the same line of thought...

Allow an option that instructs a dwarf who's realized he's got cave adaptation, to try to go outside if he has nothing else to do in order to get himself used to the great outdoors again.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56:23 pm »

One idea might be to *just* allow colored quartz to be made into effective sunglasses, since regular quarts is already used in making glass.

Amethyst and smoky quarts could afford sun protection, whereas rose quartz ('rose-coloured glasses') wouldn't protect against the sun, but might give a happy thought.

Sunglasses could *also* be an opportunity to give dwarfs who like a particular gem, an item that would make them happy. It wouldn't have any other mechanical effect, but if they like sapphires, giving them sapphire specs might make them happier in general.

This should only work for gems that are actually transparent, though. Lapis lazuli or turquoise lenses, for example, would only cause the dwarf wearing them to crash into the nearest wall.

P.S. Eyeglasses were invented in 1280 AD, so it's entirely in keeping with DF technology.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:57:46 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.