Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dynamics of fire + biome request  (Read 668 times)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dynamics of fire + biome request
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:46:10 am »

Fire, in my opinion, spreads too easily under many circumstances.
I would like to suggest that perhaps for fire:
each square adjacent to fire (per frame) have (number of adjacent flaming squares)/70 chance of igniting.
...or at least for dry grass. Perhaps use the same chance to dry out lusher grasses?

so...
0=target
#=fire
Code: [Select]
    .',              #',              .',              .##              #'#              #'#              ###              ###
    ,0#              #0`              ,0`              ,0`              ,0#              #0`              #0#              #0#
    ',,              ',,              ###              #,#              '##              ###              #,#              ###

1                2                3                4                5                6                7                8
    fire            fires            fires            fires            fires            fires            fires            fires
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For 1  frame ,|  For 1  frame, |  For 1  frame, |  For 1  frame, |  For 1  frame, |  For 1  frame, |  For 1  frame, |  For 1  frame,
1.43% chance  |  2.86% chance  |  4.29% chance  |  5.71% chance  |  7.14% chance  |  8.57% chance  | 10.00% chance  | 11.43% chance
              |                |                |                |                |                |                |
For 20 frames,|  For 20 frames,|  For 20 frames,|  For 20 frames,|  For 20 frames,|  For 20 frames,|  For 20 frames,|  For 20 frames,
25.01% chance |  44.00% chance |  58.36% chance |  69.17% chance |  77.29% chance |  83.34% chance |  87.84% chance |  91.17% chance
(chance is rounded)
This way smaller fires have a chance of burning themselves out, and larger fires will still spread quite menacingly across the countryside.

I would also imagine most trees would have a lesser chance of burning(being considerably denser than grass).

Also, on a semi related topic, i would like to see some Australian bushland style of biomes;
hot, dry, medium tree density, and mostly populated by an equivelant to a gum tree.

Gum trees drop sticks and twigs constantly, brances occasionaly, and massive branches every now and then; they also constanty drop leaves everywhere. They are also extremely !!flammible!! and occasionally burst into flame on very hot summer days. They also only seed after fires.(and most of them keep growing even though they are scorched pitch black and dont have any leaves after the fire.)

I imagine this would make for an interesting embark location with spontanious fires in the summer and the need for fires for new tree growth. (plus the elves would have to shut up and watch if you torched the entire forest)
Though I think improved fire dynamics would be neccecary for this to be a viable option for embarking. Otherwise backburning would just be burning down your own fort so nature can't do it for you.

I can just see it now... clearing an entire forest, then purposely torching everything to make the trees grow again.(while the elves are visiting)

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamics of fire + biome request
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:15:55 am »

I like the idea of fire having more natural behavior, also being extinguishable by a bucket brigade, etc.  I think that the biome effects are a little nitty-gritty, but that hasn't stopped Toady in the past and I trust him to do it reasonably well.  It would be interesting to tie this to fertility effects as part of an expanded agriculture arc too.  (Slash and burn agriculture for the win.)

I can just see it now... clearing an entire forest, then purposely torching everythingvisiting elves on their way out "to make the trees grow again." (while the elves are visiting)

Fixed that one for you

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:16:12 am »

Oh man, I LOVE throwing some gum tree branches onto the campfire. WOOMF~

I haven't been camping in ages, that is so much fun~
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 04:35:32 pm »

I should hope the elves would understand that the fire was necessary for the trees growth, would applaud your attentiveness to the needs of the forest, and ask that maybe next time you waited til the caravan of elves wasn't in the woods at the time ;D
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!