Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me make a monolith  (Read 1652 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
Help me make a monolith
« on: December 17, 2008, 06:51:02 pm »

So i loved the obsidian monolith map that magua uploaded but i didnt like the location. I want to start a segregated fortress where the dwarves arrive to find a huge obsidian monolith - maybe the gods made it? But since it just appears to have been made by gods/ aliens or w/e i might aswell use cheats to make it, since doing it otherwise takes ages and is boring. So far ive been making water and magma in alternate layers using 'for each tile' in tweak. However ive hit a snag, ive been using traffic designations to designate where to create the magma and water but now that ive got above all the features of the terrain i can't designate traffic areas. Is there any way i can designate where i put the magma and water? I have built a staricase next to the monolith but that doesnt let me designate the whole thing. Is there some way i can designate any tile in the map with traffic designations?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:29:34 pm by Randominality »
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Help me make a monolith
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:50:35 pm »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, take your time when you post- it'll be there for a while, and you want it to look good, right? So, use caps, don't forget spaces, and read over your post once or twice to see if it makes sense.

However, I got the jist of your question. I believe that all you have to do is designate the area you want to work with to Dig. This won't do anything obvious, but it should unlock those squares so that you can give them traffic designations.

And hey, put it up on the DF Map Archive when you're done, I'd love to see how it turns out!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:21:00 am »

Why do you want to use traffic designations at all?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:39:56 am »

Traffic designations are used for area designation for some 3rd party tools, in this case, ForEachTile.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 11:42:32 am »

I still wonder if dropping a monolith into the ocean would create a tidal wave...

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:29:32 am »

I still wonder if dropping a monolith into the ocean would create a tidal wave...

No.  There's no fluid displacement yet.  It's a really hard thing to implement properly, and is incompatible with the algorithm toady uses for flows.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 10:47:31 pm »

which means he's going to have to completely rework flows?  oof  He has my prayers with that one.
Demon of Darkness

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 05:11:58 pm »

which means he's going to have to completely rework flows?  oof  He has my prayers with that one.

Don't count on it.  Flows are a tough problem no matter how they're tackled.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 08:29:34 am »

Don't count on it.  Flows are a tough problem no matter how they're tackled.

But imagine: Goblin invaders are swimming through your, say, 5/7 filled moat. Suddenly, you detach a huge block of stone, falling into the water and tsunaming the gobling against the (unsmoothed ;D) walls and beating them crazy.

Also, footkerchief, isn't that avatar from FreeSpace?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:49:06 am »

Freespace 2.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 11:57:17 am »

Suddenly, I want an ancient race of gods that builds fantastic monoliths and always goes extinct early in worldgen.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 06:53:27 pm »

Well if you're using cheats to make it, can you just stick in obsidian blocks directly other then water and magma?  Also, if you can't go above the terrain, in fitting with the theme, you could make it partially buried, it's original base far below what is now the surface.  A desert area might be nice for that, huge obsidian monolith with just a part of it still sticking out above the surface. :)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 11:10:27 am »

im back from my holiday in america which i left for not long after starting this thread. So now im dredging it back up again.
Sorlain, how do you create obsidian blocks directly in ForEachTile. Also i figured out how to get traffic designations everywhere i need - i just have to build three sets of stairs next to the monolith going to the top z-level.

Currently im making the monolith stretch from the second from bottom z-level to the second from top and it is 43x67 tiles on each z-level.
ill be sure to post it when im done.  :)
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?