Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifacts  (Read 790 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifacts
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:40 pm »

As is, armorsmiths make little else than singular artifact boots and gloves. An option to mod said items out of the allowed items list would be nice. Either that or produce a pair, even if it counts toward artifact cap. Speaking of which, that should be in the raws too

Having played around with savescumming, it seems there's about 70-80% chance of getting a boot or a gauntlet when artifacts are made. Might be a glitch or maybe I'm just ludicrously unlucky

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:28:13 pm »

maybe have it produce a masterwork off-hand one to pair it with?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:39:06 pm »

Toady already has some RAWs about this... However I guess Id like to add something to Pair Artifacts that MAY be implied in the RAW but may not be.

Artifacts that are pairs could come in four flavors
1) Pairs: The artifact is made in a pair and thus either confers a stacking bonus with the other or requires both to function. They are in essence: One artifact
2) Twin: The artifact is made one at a time and
3) Not a Pair: The artifact is built on its own rather then with a pair.
4) Homage: The artifact isn't a pair... however later on an artifact is made to enhance or be coupled with the artifact.

Gauntlets and Boots should have a high chance of being a pair or twin (Same with socks, Mittens, and objects generally worn/used in pairs). Objects that are often used on the same or other hands but arn't generally required such as Rings have less of a chance. Objects that are often used once but CAN be used multiple times have the least chance of being part of the above.

This of course doesn't include doors who could lets say... have a strong connection with the other door. (such as by teleportation).

This also doesn't include pairs of objects that simply make sense together... Sword and Shield... Gauntlet and Glove... or many other combinations of items.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:47:49 pm »

Hope the new raws will be complex. It'd be nice to go as deep as to disable pictures of the artifact on the artifact and renditions of other engravings. I never really liked those  :P

Hopefully eventually we'll be able to disable the artifact cap and be able to sell the things. Or perhaps send them as tribute to other civilizations

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:49:44 pm »

Hope the new raws will be complex. It'd be nice to go as deep as to disable pictures of the artifact on the artifact and renditions of other engravings. I never really liked those  :P

Hopefully eventually we'll be able to disable the artifact cap and be able to sell the things. Or perhaps send them as tribute to other civilizations

There isn't EXACTLY an artifact cap to my knowledge... In that you can still make artifacts was past the time you hit the cap... it is just rare.

Though mind you... once artifacts can DO something... an artifact every month or so... would be too much

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 03:17:09 pm »

A limit is fine in theory but in practice most of those artifacts are 1 item wooden earrings  ::)

I do wish artifacts would actually require some skill in the trade used so not every child cranks out some useless wooden statuette encrusted with grass

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

Other improvements could be:
- possessions for real, i.e. a deceased dwarf or other entity takes over -
- secretive moods for real, i.e. the dwarf stockpiles stuff in his room without notifying the player- - Multiple moods at the same time in the same fortress (Give here that GCS silk thread! I saw it first!)
- Components for the artifact based on the dwarf's personal likings
- dwarves that rip apart existing objects or mine the stuff out themself if there's no other option
- the dwarf does some strange things as a kind of ritual or creative process during the making of the artifact (eg. running circles around a statue, eating sand, washing, ritual sacrifices, kissing an elf - or slugmen, ..)
- longer-term moods: they shouldn't all be instant microwave artifacts. Let them brood on it for a few years, or search the right diorite rock from the five thousand scattered around the fortress.
- using more odd ingredients (ice swords with patterns of round squares on the hilt, sand cloaks adorned with the whisper of a cat, blood crowns menacing with spikes of sunshine, mugs made from rainbows..)
- musical pieces, plans of buildings, new weapon types could also become available through this mechanic.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.