Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I found an excellent compact fortress location (40d)  (Read 4321 times)

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: I found an excellent compact fortress location (40d)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 11:10:07 am »

I've yet to attempt using someone's info to generate a world, but would this work with, oh, say the Orc mod?  From what I've read, I tend to think that it'd send everything caddywampus, but I thought I'd ask.  Not 100% sure what modded files affect world gens, or at least the physical/visible aspects of the world.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 11:22:19 am »

The elves are no joke, either. When I used this world, the first elven dinner party showed up promptly the very first spring after the fortress was founded, and they brought a lot of mouths to feed...
Same happened to me. Two ambush parties came and I had just a few stone traps prepared. Had to make a desperate charge with a bunch of migrants to hold back just the first group. Just as I thought I had survived, the second group emerged. Had to draft every migrant I had, and two of my Day-0 dwarves. My miner got killed :'(

Since then I've been planning a horrible trap to capture elves and do horrible, horrible things to them. A related question: do invading enemies starve? I mean if you trap them in a pit or similar (without using cages).
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 11:44:03 pm »

For those interested in my simple/subtle glass mod, it can be found here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=742

It might be required to generate this world exactly.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:57:40 am »

A related question: do invading enemies starve? I mean if you trap them in a pit or similar (without using cages).

I found that leaving anybody in a locked room for an extended period of time results in them going crazy.  Once was by accident to a trade caravan and the other was on purpose to an invading goblin ambush.

They don't so much starve to death as just lose their minds.  (which, imo, is much much worse)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 11:24:59 am »

An odd thing happened to me at this spot.  I just finished trading with elfs, and suddenly a group of migrants appears from the east, which is normal. Then IMMEDIATELY after a second group migrants appears from the south.

???
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 06:32:40 pm »

The elves are no joke, either. When I used this world, the first elven dinner party showed up promptly the very first spring after the fortress was founded, and they brought a lot of mouths to feed...
Same happened to me. Two ambush parties came and I had just a few stone traps prepared. Had to make a desperate charge with a bunch of migrants to hold back just the first group. Just as I thought I had survived, the second group emerged. Had to draft every migrant I had, and two of my Day-0 dwarves. My miner got killed :'(

I don't know what mods this world had going, but the most recent summer saw the human caravan immediately followed by not only a huge series of goblin ambushes, but a veritable invasion of elves on horseback. The "An ambush! Curse them!" line showed up 35 times that season.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 01:56:08 am »

wHeres the cave river?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 09:47:21 pm »

cave river is rather short, 1 tile to the east of the magma pipe, 1 tile north of the chasm. IIRC its rather deep and exits off the bottom of the map in a mini-chasm/waterfall.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

cave river is rather short, 1 tile to the east of the magma pipe, 1 tile north of the chasm. IIRC its rather deep and exits off the bottom of the map in a mini-chasm/waterfall.
I found it, but not really.

I guess you could say UristmcAnnoying saw it on his way down, and now that big hole is starting to fill with water.

TO THE SCREWPUMPS!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 12:44:59 am »

Weird thing happened to me here. I am at 114 population with only a Dungeon Master as a Noble Arrival. Its kind of boring without a pompous blowhard making irrational demands all the time.

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 07:21:17 am »

Ah, nevermind me. The answer was in front of me all along :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:54:04 am by Dachande »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 12:17:35 pm »

Weird thing happened to me here. I am at 114 population with only a Dungeon Master as a Noble Arrival. Its kind of boring without a pompous blowhard making irrational demands all the time.
This is why I vote to keep nobles in future versions of DF.
Pages: 1 [2]