Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: War camels.  (Read 1565 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War camels.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 01:44:58 am »

Or just have a special mason shop that keeps churning out stone crafts on autorepeat, maybe with a skill level filter active  ;D

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 01:48:15 am »

Only other way I can guess is to up the gob's breeding rate, though I doubt that would have any effect.

Yeah, this will make the populations at goblin sites enormous, but won't have an effect on fortress mode.

Unfortunately, I don't think goblins will ever prove challenging to an experienced player unless you cripple yourself. The best idea I can think of is to give your army basic weapons and armor and basic training, and then remove the barracks, so that your soldiers won't spar and the goblins will be on somewhat equal footing with your soldiers. Then tactics and position will become more important instead of just sending out your battle-hardened steel equipped champions to brush away goblin sieges.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 07:51:03 pm »

anything armed is challenging for me  ;D I admit it.

I'm usually so busy carving an amazing fortress (as I like to think it is) out of the mountain, with myriads of automated water driven gizmos and thingamajics that a friggin pack of angry squirrels can be a problem unless I have an even angrier miner in sight, which most of the time only happens coincidentially, anyway.

I never got around to set up a proper army. And when I read about all the kinks and quirks and problems with sparring and wrestling and left hand items... I dont really want to.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 07:54:03 pm »

If you want to take the easy route to armored defense, just train up a bunch of marksdwarves. Crossbows are easy to make, and thier training doesn't involve them bashing each other's brains out. Not usually, anyway. Just make sure you have lots of bone and wooden bolts for them to practice with.

A tower full of marksdwarves can make most attackers run away pretty quickly, especially if you've got things set up so that they can only come through one route, with most of it in site of the tower.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 08:15:52 pm »

It should be [trAINABLE]. I'm sure the tr was a mistake.

Huh...that's really odd. I made sure it was all caps...I wonder why it's doing that.  ???

[tr] is of course a valid tag. I guess its cleaning up the data before it realizes that what you typed isnt a tag it recognises after all. Any similar tags like, say [BRITTLE] probably suffer similarly. Hmm. Odd. [BRITTLE] isnt affected. Lets try [trAPAVOID]. Yep. so what other multiletter forum tags are extendable into raw tags?

[PREFSTRING] No [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] No... Maybe they just screwed up with tr...

Anyway, you should be able to get [TRAINABLE] by 'cancelling' the opening [ by putting an empty tag like [b][/b] after it- so [[b][/b]TRAINABLE]

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 09:08:29 pm »

It should be [trAINABLE]. I'm sure the tr was a mistake.

Huh...that's really odd. I made sure it was all caps...I wonder why it's doing that.  ???

[tr] is of course a valid tag. I guess its cleaning up the data before it realizes that what you typed isnt a tag it recognises after all. Any similar tags like, say [BRITTLE] probably suffer similarly. Hmm. Odd. [BRITTLE] isnt affected. Lets try [trAPAVOID]. Yep. so what other multiletter forum tags are extendable into raw tags?

[PREFSTRING] No [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] No... Maybe they just screwed up with tr...

Anyway, you should be able to get [TRAINABLE] by 'cancelling' the opening [ by putting an empty tag like [b][/b] after it- so [[b][/b]TRAINABLE]
I had a hunch that turned out correct: it only affects
    , and
    - these are the tags that only work if they occur within other tags. (List item in list, table row in table, table datum in table row)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 [2]