Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Mode  (Read 1066 times)

PTTG?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://2funnyguys.com
New Mode
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:41:00 am »

Here is something to consider: A new mode I call World Mode. It occurred to me that if other ages where available to play, then how would the player get to them? if the game just dropped you off in the first era, when dwarves just discover fire or whatever, while you are interested in the high-magic era 5, then, well you have a lot of adventurers to go thru to get there, if the game works as it does now. What World mode would be is in part a fast-forward tool using something similar to parts of worldGen as it is now, so that you could choose when to play, or start a fortress now, then reclaim it after HUNDREDS of years. But possibly, this would not be the only use of World mode. There has been some discussion of more control of worldGen, and if you could change parts of the whole world, for instance, trigger disasters, start wars, change terrain, or so on, using World Mode, that would allow you to have that control. I do not know how difficult this would be, although the main point- a fast-forward button on the world- may be as simple as a cut and paste from the current setup (ha ha, right). Any thoughts?
.@..**@.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: New Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:47:00 am »

I had an idea like this awile back.

It split up the timeline into multiple stages. You have epochs like the age of creation, which is the beginning or caveman era i suppose. Later on your have the age of war, when populations grow big enough to clash with each other over living space.

And so on, all the way up to the age of myth and the golden age and such. Stuff that happens in previous ages becomes the myths and legends of the next age. A kingdom dead for 1000 years would be nothing but tombs and stone ruins and stuff.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: New Mode
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:03:00 am »

Neat idea. I think there's a bloat about it, but I'm too lazy to check.

We'll probably have to wait a while to see this though, since it requires a fairly complete gameworld.  A bit like the interface, better to work on it when everything (or most of it at least) is in already.  That way, hard work doesnt end up obsolete later when a game mechanism/stuff/whatever is changed or altered.

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.