Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: urgently need advice on strange mood, possesed I believe  (Read 699 times)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
urgently need advice on strange mood, possesed I believe
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:49:22 am »

I am about to start playing again but one of my dwarfs is in a possed mood, he took the clothiers shop and is muttering , rock......cloth.....thread,tree,life
 I am making cloth and thread at the loom , I think there is gems about and rock(not in stockpile) but he isnt doing anything so what am I missing?

I checked the wiki and know how to handle fey moods but I am unsure of what I need to do here

This is by far the best I have done in any fortress so I am not wanting to start a chain reaction of unhappy dwarfs , This is the first time I have had to set up a cloth chain, I have the farmers workshop, a loom, a clothiers

Btw I have plant thread, also cloth, I think I need silk, but when I try at the loom it says needs to collect silk or something, how do I do that?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: urgently need advice on strange mood, possesed I believe
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:01:45 pm »

You need wood it seems.

For silk you'll need to trade for it or have spiders present on map of some variety to collect their silk.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 12:03:33 pm »

I have lots of wood

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:11:38 pm »

Bones maybe?  aka "Life" 

Do they have access to all of the above?  Is there more than a couple of all of the above?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:15:38 pm »

No, "trees... life" means wood logs. See the wiki.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:20:26 pm »

My logs are running kinda low but I do have cut down trees on a stockpile, do they sometimes want certain types of tree also why would he need trees at a clothiers workshop? I away collecting them just in case :)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »

Hang on gems shining, he needs CUT gems I only have rough gems, I think

Hmm dont think this is working, I have thread and cloth, all I can think is he wants silk? have wood, rough+cut gems

just to update he went insane, I had a fair amount of rough and cut gems, loads of wood at the end there, loads of rocks, loads of plant thread and cloth so Im guessing he needed silk cloth or something, now I think I know why captain duck said buy some cloth lol, ow well live and learn :)

On the good side I had my gaurds training regularly so when he took a hissy fit one of my gaurds swiftly put an axe through his head  :D time to build a coffin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:44:08 pm by firefly28 »

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »

They grab things in a certain order, so even if you have some of the items he wants he won't go get them until he has the one that's hanging him up. It sounds like the silk is the problem here so unless a caravan comes along soon he's probably screwed.  Try building stonefall traps in front of the workshop door and/or stationing marksdwarves around to minimize the damage if he goes berserk.

A little tip is to always always bring a few pieces of silk cloth along when embarking. Also turtles, lots of moods demand shells and it's not always possible to get them.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 12:48:46 pm »

hehe you just posted at the same time as me :) but yes I am strongly thinking you are correct, see update above, its cool I had 2 quite well trained squads of gaurds, some of them have broze swords and axes so they took him down really fast. (coffin time, or maybe I should let him rot for be a traitordwarf lol, game gets better and better though, the good thing about this happening is I have a basic cloth making chain, + metal items, bronze silver making chain, still need ore for iron but this will do for a start)

Next caravan I buy silk, but thats me got a clothiers up so can make clothes when needed however I was thinking of putting a drawbridge at the font entrance so gonna check the wiki on that, what do you think? then I am going to secure the walls (After I build more rooms)

just a little update , just had the best trading session ever! I got a good few cave spider silk cloth and a couple of giant cave spider silk cloth + couple of pig iron bars+ 1 or 2 steel + aluminuim+ 2  hematite

So Im thinking I may be able to make iron? + have silk if a dwarf goes on a bad one again! Also I just read the following at the wiki :

Invading goblins (or humans) often carry iron equipment. After successful fortress defense, liberated arms and armour can be melted into bars. This can be a reliable source of iron even when ore is scarce.

The fact theres a good lot of goblin corpses outside my fort so how do I get my dwarfs to bring back all there weapons and armor?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:20:48 pm by firefly28 »

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 05:09:13 pm »

Yeah, if nothing else, they tend to demand silk cloth as opposed to plant cloth. Annoying but yeah...