Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you solve the tame animal problem?  (Read 1577 times)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you solve the tame animal problem?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 05:05:49 am »

I have a Quad Core CPU and still the performance is pretty bad

Just so's you know, DWAAARF FORTRESS only uses a single core at a time, so the quadiness isn't terrifically helpful, FPS-wise.

In fact, having a quad core will HURT DF performance, since quad cores tend to have a slower clock speed individually then a monster single core. 
You're half right. Yes, dual/quad-core processors usually have slower clock speeds in comparison to single-core processors (speaking as someone who's just recently upgraded from a P4 3.0GHz to a Quad 2.5GHz), but the operating system can designate DF to one core while keeping other stuff (Vista, MSN, Firefox et al) elsewhere - this means that in theory DF can get the entire 2.5GHz of one processor on my new machine, whereas with my old system it was competing with all of the other programs that I was running at the same time and was never going to get a full 3.0GHz to itself. My quad-core may be 0.5GHz slower than the old P4 but DF does run a bit faster on the quad-core (not noticeably much faster, if I'm honest, but definitely faster all the same)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: How do you solve the tame animal problem?
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 03:20:44 pm »

Also, when comparing between different types of processors (Centrino-Pentium, Core 2-AMD Athlon, etc.) the clock speed doesn't mean all that much. Architecture changes mean that you can be doing more in each cycle in newer chips.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.
Pages: 1 [2]