Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Every Fortress I See is Enclosed.  (Read 6495 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Every Fortress I See is Enclosed.
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2008, 06:21:52 pm »

^^Which, as I stated before, would make defending the fort extremely complicated.
You'd have people digging magma walls around their forts so diggers would breach the magma and kill themselves.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2008, 06:43:04 pm »

^^Which, as I stated before, would make defending the fort extremely complicated.
You'd have people digging magma walls around their forts so diggers would breach the magma and kill themselves.
Well, yeah, I would if I ever played with tunneling on, but I was a little thrown off by neonivek's responses to that idea.  I still don't quite understand what he was trying to say.  Sorry.

You know, it has been suggested that soil walls will slowly refill.  The more I think about it, if and when that is implemented, soil-only tunneling could be a good way to implement tunneling.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2008, 07:25:12 am »

The more I think about it, if and when that is implemented, soil-only tunneling could be a good way to implement tunneling.

Soil-only tunneling? That would be pointless. In fact tunnelers would be useless completely, if you would build the fortress at a safe position...and that is very easy to do as we know. Besides, we all agreed that tunneling must be controllable in the raws, and that shouldn't be limited to a turn on/off option, but we should be able to change the digging rules also. [What kind of materials can the tunnelers dig through, what should be their speed while digging etc. etc.]

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2008, 11:06:20 am »

Now the problem with that is:  Where do you put the controls for said floodgates?  Doable, but it would be really complicated  :-\
No. Put the controls in a sealed off steel control room deep down below the surface, with a few dwarves living there permanently to operate the controls as needed.

I do that (except for steel) anyway, due to the cool factor.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]