Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm plots  (Read 567 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm plots
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:06:55 pm »

hey, I'm trying to grow some above ground plants and I'm having trouble...a lot of the land has some grass/shrub/sapling on it which interferes with my plans.  Is there a way to  clear out the area or something? Do you know of any convenient methods?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farm plots
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 12:20:10 pm »

Find a nice flat grassy spot, and use a set of walls and floors to create a cistern. Add a floodgate and a lever, designate the top as a pond, and have it filled with a bucket or a pump.
Then when it's full, open the gate and build a farm on the resultant mud.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 12:48:35 pm »

Farm plots can be built on top of grass and shrubs. I think saplings too, but I'm not 100% sure. If you build the plot on top of soil, then you won't have to worry about irrigation. You only need to 'water' your farms if you're building them atop rock.

One important thing to note: If the plot is above-ground, you can only plant things that grow there. Same for below-ground. Those seeds that you brought initially will only grow underground.

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 02:26:37 pm »

Shrubs will get in the way, but you can remove them by enabling plant gathering on a dwarf, then selecting the offending plants with d>p. Alternatively, if the layer below is soil you can channel the top layer out and plant on the resulting blank soil/sand below without anything getting in the way.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:30:30 pm »

You can also get rid of saplings and shrubs by having a military dwarf patrol over it constantly.  This is a very effective method assuming your military is not necessary at the moment, as it does not distract workers from more important jobs.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 02:51:27 pm »

Either pick the berries (you probably need the seeds anyway) or use a dirt road to clear out the vegetation quickly

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 08:06:40 pm »

Another trick is to channel the ground. Everything underneath will be dirt (provided you're not channeling on a rock layer) and still be considered above ground. This is if you're too lazy or can't irrigate the area.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯