Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bit stuck with one aspect of smelting  (Read 742 times)

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A bit stuck with one aspect of smelting
« on: December 26, 2008, 05:50:50 pm »

Hi was going through the wiki written tutorial, I build 1 smelter and one forge , I think I make Coke from bitmus coal or something like that :)

I have been reading the wiki for ages on smelting and forging, I think I followed the instructions correctly, also in my smelter is 3 bronze bars, I think I must have made those but it used up the fuel because now it says needs fuel? I guess I need to find coal or something ? (Im not fussed about being magma safe just want basic smelting and forging working)

I think I smelted nuggets to get bronze bars, so now I have the bronze bars in the smelter, I can see by doing view item in building but I need the broze bars into the forge to make a pick axe and battle axe (I know I dont need to but I want to do it to learn)

Im kinda confused at this point what I need to do so have

Bronze bars in smelter
forge built

Cant create bronze picks

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A bit stuck with one aspect of smelting
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 06:06:45 pm »

Do you actually HAVE fuel?

You need fuel for every smelter/forge action, as far as I know.

If you don't have any fuel, you'll need to either make charcoal at a wood furnace, or make coke from lignite or bituminous coal. Of course, if you have no fuel at all, you can't make coke since it takes fuel to perform the reaction, so just go gather up some wood and make some charcoal out of it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 06:16:15 pm »

Great tip about the fuel! Didnt know this! Btw I could have sworn there were bronze bars in the smelter and they dissapeared or maybe im going nuts, copper it was in the smelter, I had 3 coke in the smelter so I smelted the copper, that seemed to create copper bars and then I went to the forge and created a copper pick

So looks like I had fuel . Do you know how I could look inside specific barrels and bins? its just I have a barrel on a custom stockpile which is for gems and ore only(specific kinds of ore) and I aam wandering if I did indeed make something out of bronze bars , it would be handy to do this so I can reorganise a bit, but at least I have seen how it works, thanks :) I need to find tin now(Will just start of small making bronze stuff until it becomes second nature all the metals used and then I will gradually move up in quality as I know what Im doing

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 06:18:06 pm »

To look inside bins, just press "k" then hover over the bin/barrel with the cursor, press "enter" and it should tell you in the item's property screen. You could also check the stocks screen to see if you have something or don't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:06:33 pm »

Nice that works well, btw I just struck native silver, is that quite good? Im thinking it will be good for smelting into bars for production but I will need to research more :) After seeing that message I saved and am backing up the whole folder lol

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 07:21:30 pm »

Look up "ore" and "metal" on the wiki (www.dwarffortresswiki.net). It's pretty thorough.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 08:50:04 pm »

I spent alot of time on that lately  and more so with the smelting but I will ccontinue to use it and considering that was my first time smelting to have just one silly glitch is a respectable start. Not following the tuts now Im just making a fortress my own way, I want to think big and its just starting to pay of as I wasted a bit of time getting my head around it all but I think I am okay now, if I need to make something I will check the wiki ingrediants

Ive just carved out my specific rooms for my mayor when he comes and just got my first small batch of immagrants so it is looking good, I also got some guy comming to me who will bring me some good stuff next year, but he wants stuff so I hope I havent taken on too much

I have got a bowyers shop, barracks, archery range, mayors rom+office (dug out only), jewlers,carpenters, fishery hut, farm, craftdwarfs workshop

Once I get a handle on all the new stuff im trying I am going to try and get a handle on how to use sand as red sand is at my location

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 03:46:15 am »

Use some peasant to make low quality weapons out of the silver, they're good for sparring as they don't send heads flying too easily

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 09:45:48 am »

I will try that :) plan is I will smelt the silver ore into silver bars then make a silver axe or sword

btw does the stone hauling skill cover hauling gems and what skill makes it so dwarfs will collect any bone like items?

Im reading this and I think it answers my question :) that wiki is good

I havent found it yet, just googling here before I continue my game
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:58:01 am by firefly28 »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 10:14:04 am »

If the bones you want to collect are outside, then you need to allow dwarfs to gather outdoor refuse. 
(o)rders (r)efuse (o)utdoor settings.