Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting a river on a Hill  (Read 796 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting a river on a Hill
« on: December 24, 2008, 01:40:31 am »

Is it possible to find a location with a river on a hill, right next to a valley? I have some ideas for my next fort that require such a scheme.

I mean, it makes sense that all rivers are on the lowest above ground z-level, they eroded their way there, But is it possible to get that river on a hill?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a river on a Hill
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 03:50:40 am »

Sort of.  Erosion works region tile by region tile, or something like that.  Occasionally, you can find a quasi-bug where a brook or river will continue on at the same level while the mountain it was on drops from wind erosion.  So you get this tiny isthmus of river jutting out into the sky.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:09 am »

You could also pump the water of a normal river up the hill. One waterwheel powers a few pumps, so you probably need one waterwheel for every 5 z-levels, or something.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:02:18 pm »

waterfalls used to be fairly common back when every hill and elevation change was a sheer cliff face.  i havent seen any since the hill-smoothing thing.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 12:35:50 pm »

I've seen a two-z-level one recently. Wasn't that impressive. Also, the lower part of the river started muddy.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:42:38 pm »

Topic A, meet Topic B
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

mythmonster2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 12:55:35 am »

I found an area where two rivers fell into a valley, creating two waterfalls right next to each other. The map was cold so the waterfalls froze. I then dug into the ice wall with my starting seven, walled it off so the water wouldn't flood, and had my 7 stay down there while my migrants had to live outside.
Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
And neither can I...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 01:13:39 am »

I've actually seen a few 7 z lever major river waterfalls (however, it was only a 20 tile major river, not a 30+ tile one unfortunately).
Magma is overrated.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 12:19:49 am »

I think You might be best served genning your worlds in older versions and moving the save over after you've gotten a nice water fall.  I used to get at least one in every large map I genned back in 38c
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?