Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life imitating dwarf fortress  (Read 1842 times)

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Life imitating dwarf fortress
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:58:18 pm »

Or is it the other way around?

Stone Age figurines from Russia: Archaeologists excavating a site near Moscow have found figurines and carvings dating back to the Stone Age - somewhere around 10,000 to 40,000 years ago. The artifacts include two female-looking figurines, a mammoth rib inscribed with pictures of what appear to be mammoths, and a mysterious cone-shaped object.

Reminds me of mugs inscribed with mugs or dwarves drinking. ::)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life imitating dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:18:24 am »

Now they just need to find wall-carvings of people carving walls while surrounded by people.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 12:24:12 am »

Here it is:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:36:38 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:55:24 am »

Here's a masterwork statue of, uh, a female dwarf ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Willendorf

(Don't be offended. The statue is around 23.000 years old and may be connected to some kind of fertility rite; whoever made this also didn't know bras or anorexic models yet.)

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:20:39 am »

Here it is:

Huh?

Oh wait I see the link in the qoute.  Weird I wonder why it didnt work at first.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:21 pm »

I remember I went on a boyscout campout sometime this year and as soon as we arrived the following orders were issued by our leader-guy

"You three get to chopping wood, you three pile the wood up over there. You four start setting up some tents. That group over there, you should start set up the main tent and cook dinner. Those 5 should go store our supplies under that tree over there, etc." it was amazing, all I could think was 'Oh, gee, Dwarf Fortress'
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Ha, You got caught in Boy Scout Fortress.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:41 pm »

leader-guy: Alright, break out the picks boys! hopefully by sundown we can dig out proper lodgings for ourselves and a store-room. Tomorrow we shall start on the underground farms!
 Scout: But how will we dig all that?
 leader-guy: YOU WILL DIG OR BE HAMMERED! NOW DIG!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 11:25:54 pm »

leader-guy: Alright, break out the picks boys! hopefully by sundown we can dig out proper lodgings for ourselves and a store-room. Tomorrow we shall start on the underground farms!
 Scout: But how will we dig all that?
 leader-guy: YOU WILL DIG OR BE HAMMERED! NOW DIG!

Laughed out loud man.  Nice.

I was waiting for a new iteration of DF to start playing again but I guess I'll just get back to it...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 08:51:20 am »

[urlhttp://www.explodingcigar.com/article2090.html]Man throws vermin at someone, causes serious injury[/url]
Shoes...

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 10:33:15 am »

[urlhttp://www.explodingcigar.com/article2090.html]Man throws vermin at someone, causes serious injury[/url]

Man throws vermin at someone, causes serious injury
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 11:03:38 pm »

Here's a masterwork statue of, uh, a female dwarf ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Willendorf

(Don't be offended. The statue is around 23.000 years old and may be connected to some kind of fertility rite; whoever made this also didn't know bras or anorexic models yet.)

That article talks about the statue being connected with mushrooms and fertility.  Obviously we are dealing with a dwarven fertility cult.  No wonder dwarven women have so many children once they start.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 09:06:39 am »

Why is it that the more squat/portly women (dorf women?) always end up with such huge.... tracts of land? I'm jealous.

I searched "vicious carp attack" and only ended up with random forum posts. Searching the news for "Fish attack" only led me to insane beauty practices. Darn.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 11:17:22 pm »

"insane beauty practices"? Dude, where I live, every single shopping mall has at least one of those fish spas. Even the small suburban shopping malls. Hmm.. where I live there are shopping malls in the suburbs too :P

"You three get to chopping wood, you three pile the wood up over there. You four start setting up some tents. That group over there, you should start set up the main tent and cook dinner. Those 5 should go store our supplies under that tree over there, etc." it was amazing, all I could think was 'Oh, gee, Dwarf Fortress'
Pfft.. with real dwarves, you need only one guy to build the tent and one guy to chop wood. The remaining guys will be practicing wrestling in case any foxes come to eat you.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 02:47:17 pm »

Hmm... boy scout wrestling, Dwarf Fortress style.