Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheelchairs (again)  (Read 2224 times)

Aaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • aaron.acephalo.us
Wheelchairs (again)
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:35:08 pm »

Someone already suggested wheelchairs about a year ago, so I hope I may be excused for bringing up the subject again, but I've had some thoughts about them that might be fun.

So I've got a dwarf with a bad lower-spine injury who, I'm told, will never walk again. But there's nothing wrong with her upper body, so I'm thinking that if one of my other dwarfs could build her a wheelchair, she'd be able to be a reasonably productive member of society again -- if you get over the Victorian wicker-chair-and-four-casters idea, and think of something a little more like a modern wheelchair, you get something that a dwarf with working arms can push around on her own.

So I'm thinking it could start out something like this: you build the wheelchair out of wood at a carpenter's shop or metal at a forge, and it's stored in a furniture stockpile. (I don't see a need for mechanisms: chair, four wheels, two axles, and you brake by grabbing hold of the wheels real hard.)

Once the chair's built, I'm not sure how would be best to go about assigning it to the dwarf who's meant to use it; maybe that could be automatic, because any paraplegic dwarf can use one, and you probably don't have too many paraplegic dwarfs in your fortress unless you've been having a lot of fun lately. In any case, once the assignment's made, a dwarf who's not otherwise occupied would carry the wheelchair from the stockpile to the injured dwarf's bedside, and load the new owner into the chair.

From that point, the newly wheeled dwarf is up and about with most of their ordinary capacities, albeit somewhat slowly, and perhaps without agility bonuses being applied to movement. (Or possibly with strength bonuses taking their place? Wheelchair agility is, from what I gather, pretty much all in the upper body and arms, after all.) I figure the wheelchair could go into the dwarf's inventory, which if it's heavy enough might slow movement speed enough all by itself; not only that, but, just as a very strong person can move a wheelchair as fast as an able person can run, a dwarf of sufficient strength could overcome the weight penalty of the wheelchair and get around mighty quick indeed.

Of course, there's at least one big caveat to consider: wheelchairs can't manage stairs, so you'd need ramps alongside your stairwells to provide wheelchair accessibility, and probably other accommodations as well -- for example, I can imagine it being impossible to squeeze a wheelchair through a diagonal passage, so you'd have to plan workshops and other areas accordingly. I don't know about you, but that certainly appeals to my psychotic obsessionsense of fun.

It also occurs to me that, like how up/down stairs pose a slight risk in that unconscious dwarfs will fall down them, ramps might have to be carefully built to prevent unconscious dwarfs rolling downhill to their deaths. While we're on the subject of risk, what happens when a wheelchair dwarf and a walking dwarf meet in a one-wide tunnel? Possible yellow wounds to the walking dwarf's feet from the wheels going over his insteps, that's what. (Crunch!) And, if the wheelchair is an inventory object, it might get damaged in a fall, or similar, at which point the formerly wheeled dwarf would be out of luck until another wheelchair could be found, or failing that a rescuer to carry the unfortunate back to bed.

There are other benefits, too! In addition to restoring most of an injured dwarf's capacity to work, a wheelchair like this one would also give such a dwarf the ability to get to food stockpiles and dining areas on her own -- and, most importantly, the ability to imbibe sweet, sweet booze. In fact, I can even see a place in the military for a wheeled dwarf; do you need the use of your legs to, e.g., put a crossbow bolt through a goblin's eye and out the back of his skull? And think of the shame it will bring every goblin who learns that your fortress can stand off massive sieges without even needing soldiers who are able to walk!

So what do you think?

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelchairs (again)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:39:19 pm »

Mine carts
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Wonderdummy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:43:16 pm »

Wheelchairs could be a major hinderance in a multi-level fortress that uses stairs instead of ramps for level transit, crutches could be an option for less injured dwarves...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »

Well some people in wheelchairs in real life can get up stairs themselves.

Either by pulling themselves up with their arms (Which while rediculous would be reasonable for this game)
-So that should be what the game does... Wheelchair bound dwarves need to go up stairs in a crawl.

Or by jumping the stairs in their wheelchairs... which is just plain rediculous.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:51:35 pm »

Or by jumping the stairs in their wheelchairs... which is just plain rediculous.
Ah, the dwarven way.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • aaron.acephalo.us
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:53:30 pm »

Mine carts: What, on rails? I don't want to lay rails into my dining hall... :) More seriously, yeah, a mine cart could serve pretty well, assuming rails aren't required and the difficulty of pushing it from inside was abstracted away.

Crutches: Sure, why not? But crutches don't do you any good if you can't use your legs at all. Since that's the state one of my dwarfs is in, that's the direction my thoughts have taken, that's all; I don't see a reason why the same carpenter's workshop couldn't turn out crutches and wheelchairs.

Ramps vs. stairs: Sure, why not? Stairs == very slow, ramps == normal speed. (Or, if very unfortunate, much faster, though only briefly.)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:57:06 pm »

Ramps vs. stairs: Sure, why not? Stairs == very slow, ramps == normal speed. (Or, if very unfortunate, much faster, though only briefly.)

Fixed.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Yuu_Inohara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:05:53 pm »

Fixed.

I think we may have invented a new sport.
Divide by zero and sacrifice some of the players to Armok probably. Though this would be somewhat cool to have around.
Oh, Toady already does such things on a regular basis. I think he calls it 'Tuesday'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 07:31:28 pm »

Well the issue is that the people who are wheelchair bound who can climb stairs with their wheelchair (as in using their wheelchair to climb it) not only train for quite some time... but they generally use special wheelchairs that use shocks and springs that are probably far too outside the technology level of Dwarf Fortress.

It would make more sense if they climbed up themselves by their hands.

I really wonder what people done with those who had little-no use of legs in medieval times... though I understand that for the most part the physically and mentally disabled did find it nearly impossible to have basic living conditions to the point where a large number of them who weren't destitute were supported by others or already in the lap of luxery.

There was a social sigma to being physically disabled and often a way to deal with a kid who had one was to beat them until they were tough.

So maybe Dwarves dying because they can't make trips up and down stairs is just one of those harsh realities.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 08:10:11 pm »

well, wheelchairs are reasonable. there are also some major benefits. chop the legs off of a dwarf, wait for him to go fey, and shove him into a pit with no ramp, that has his desired workshop and a stockpile of your chosen materials. when he's done, just build a ramp and let him out!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:17:12 pm »

And then you realize the fey dwarf made a set of artifact prosthetic legs that can't be used by anyone else.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 05:55:35 pm »

Well once moving tiles are implemented just make an elevator using a winch attached to a 3*3 floor with a lever on.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Aaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • aaron.acephalo.us
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 06:05:51 pm »

So maybe Dwarves dying because they can't make trips up and down stairs is just one of those harsh realities.

Or, you know, maybe my miners can dig out a couple squares' worth of ramps next to most of my big staircases. It's really not a great deal of effort, and it'll gain my few remaining non-legendary miners a few more experience points toward that great goal of being represented by a blinking smiley.

Ademisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:31:16 am »

While we're on the subject of risk, what happens when a wheelchair dwarf and a walking dwarf meet in a one-wide tunnel? Possible yellow wounds to the walking dwarf's feet from the wheels going over his insteps, that's what. (Crunch!)

Oh, I can just image the chaos as a superdwarvenly strong dwarf takes his new wheels for a spin down a crowded, narrow hallway. It won't take long for the others to find themselves breaking yet more toes.