Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horse kills shop keeper. Hilarity insures.  (Read 2605 times)

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horse kills shop keeper. Hilarity insures.
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:21:58 pm »

Well, today i played for the first time on adventure mode, and I'm glad i did!

I chose a human, skilled in swords, shields Armour etc, did a few quests, nothing that unusual. Until:

I had just come back to town, after finishing another quest, when i see messages of about a horse, attacking a shop keeper. The shop keeper loses badly, A brutal kick turning his upper body into Gore.

If this wasn't funny enough, the horse leaves the shop, turns round, and kills a child, with swift kick to the head. But that wasn't the end of it!

After lol'ing at this, i went to get another quest only to be told to.. kill the horse. Here is a screenshot:

So i went and found 'standopened' the untamable horse, expecting a very easy fight. In the first round,  he kicked me in the head, knocking me unconscious. Thankfully a spear man i had in my party ran the beast through.

Then, i tried to steal some stuff from the shop (the shop keeper is dead, he won't miss it right?) only to be apprehended and killed. Good times.

Also of note (but without a screen shot) was a earing i threw at a wolf, that killed it in one hit, and knocked it's body out of sight. Watch out for flying earrings.
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Horse kills shop keeper. Hilarity insures.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 10:57:59 pm »

Welcome to adventure mode we hope you'll enjoy your stay. ;)

One thing you really must try if looking for a challenge is to start a 'fortress' on a chasm, dig a small cave and abandon (extra points if you connect all the little ledges to the surface). Then go there in adventure mode, 'T'ravel away and come back a few times. There should be hundreds of chasm creatures for you to fight if done right.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:26:58 pm »

Welcome to adventure mode we hope you'll enjoy your stay. ;)

One thing you really must try if looking for a challenge is to start a 'fortress' on a chasm, dig a small cave and abandon (extra points if you connect all the little ledges to the surface). Then go there in adventure mode, 'T'ravel away and come back a few times. There should be hundreds of chasm creatures for you to fight if done right.
Maybe dig straight to the HFS to release some fun for the adventurer?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:34:58 am »

Bad Horse, Bad Horse,
Bad Horse, Bad Horse,
He rides across the nation
The thoroughbred of sin!

That is an awesome story.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 10:53:49 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:02:41 am »

Bad Horse, Bad Horse,
Bad Horse, Bad Horse,
The thorough bread of sin!

is that supposed to be a song legolord? and you misspelt breed, so it sounds like your saying the horse is made of bread or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 01:45:16 am »

Bad Horse, Bad Horse,
Bad Horse, Bad Horse,
The thorough bread of sin!

is that supposed to be a song legolord? and you misspelt breed, so it sounds like your saying the horse is made of bread or something.
Yes it is a song.  It is from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.  I wonder if Toady ever saw that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 02:48:57 am »

The word you're looking for is "thoroughbred". All one word.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 05:20:27 am »

legolord, my respect for you just jumped several notches. i love dr horribles singalong blog. and joss wheedon, its creator. it gets taken down a lot from youtube, but here is one which is just the song with lyrics that has hung around for a while - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ruMAYcEQbHs

anything can be weilded in adventure mode. i remember someone talking about how they were going around beating to death elf children with a lead bin full of lead bricks. so make a fort and churn out large adamantine serrated discs and masterwork adamantium tipped ballista bolts for the purpose of wielding as weapons in adventure mode. adamantium weighs almost nothing, which seems to be factored into the awesome throwing mechanic.

the spinning Large, serrated adamantium disc strikes strikes the giant olm in the head.
it is split in half from crown to chin!
The giant olm has been struck down!

yes... good times.

also remember anything that slows a fort down seems to slow things ten times worse in adv mode. and traps dont work, aparently at the moment this includes pressure plates. though leves and locked doors with magma or high pressure water on the other side are still fine.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 06:34:52 pm »

Not to mention the infamous "I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES"

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:41:50 am »

... why did you change it! The "thorough bread" is much funnier!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 02:46:43 am »

Soon to be founded by Gedorilash Gedor, 'The Evil League of Evil'
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:50:34 am by brainfire »
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 02:53:12 am »

Time to fire up Goblin Fortress again.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 03:00:54 am »

Time to fire up Goblin Fortress again.
The infamous?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets