Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: The ages of death,bloodybrain the awe-inspiring brain, a Succession game  (Read 7537 times)

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The ages of death,bloodybrain the awe-inspiring brain, a Succession game
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2008, 08:06:52 pm »

The FPS never went above 20 when I was playing, but never went below 10.  I'm thinking the massive amounts of stone and food we have are one of the reasons it's so slow, hence why I've been trying to build random aboveground structures to use up some of it.

I would recommend that the temperature and weather are turned off if the FPS is too low, simply due to the fact that neither have any bearing whatsoever on the fortress.  All of the ponds have already permanently dried, and we have no magma to burn dwarves.  That might boost the FPS by at least 5 or so.

I've also noticed that massive work designations slow things down alot (designating the entire bottom level to be engraved.  I think I undid that.) The mining on the lower level is almost complete, so once it's finished things might speed up a bit.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2008, 11:12:33 pm »

the time for my reign (of terror?) is drawing nigh!  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2008, 03:51:23 am »

when i was playing i know we had ALOT of stone,but then again that happens to any fort four or five years old,and having about 100 dwarves add to it with the path finding,so unless you have a monster of a pc i don't see how anyone could run it over 20-40 fps.

*edit*also to clarify,mook you don't want to be skipped right?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:54:58 am by Flyingdwarf »
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:43 pm »

*sigh*
its not the game or the stuff in the game its the computer which is misbehaving. if it was just the game there is alot of stuff to do to make it work faster.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2008, 03:33:22 pm »

I'd rather not be skipped if possible.  It'll give me a chance to make a few more FPS boosting modifications to the fortress and finish my masonry project on the upper level.

My PC doesn't really have any trouble running the fortress, so I would probably be able to finish within three days.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »

i'd like to be taken off the list, (or at least have a massive delay). going to be busy for a few weeks.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2008, 03:46:01 am »

okay Mook, and Akhier i was kinda pointing out that late game is always kinda slow.

also i will take barbarossa off like he asked.
I held my temper in check for some time... a difficult thing to do with hundreds of sharp, pointy bits of metal ricocheting off of you. Frankly, however, targeting my genitalia was the last straw."

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2008, 07:16:38 pm »

I'm almost finished with spring.  The fortress really is hard to dent, though.  As the elves have started threatening me for deforesting the area, I think it might be a good idea to make an enemy of them.

Balor Kartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2008, 11:22:53 am »

Actually i dont believe its the increadable amount of stone and such that are causing the fortress to run slow. 90% of the time pathfinding is what causes a fortress to drop FPS. Unfortunatly with the way the fortress is designed there is no way to prevent this without completly overhauling the tunnels, rooms, and hallways.

Who needs stupid elves anyways, besides they are a good supply of +elf skull totems+ when you go to war with them.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2008, 08:16:51 pm »

i wont be here for the next day,so if mook finishes tomorrow i wont be able to update.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »

I'm at the end of Autumn at the moment, so I should finish late tonight or tomorrow.  The Tax Collector has mandated adamantine again.  I'm trying to think of a quick way to kill him so he stops that.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2008, 02:07:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We just need a few boots, shields, and gauntlets, and then our military will be properly outfitted with steel or iron gear.  This year was fairly boring aside from the last ambush, and I think the only issue now facing the fortress is how to keep unemployment down.  The FPS has increased from 20 to 30 for me, so either the guild system helped a lot with pathfinding woes, or something else is going well.  Food production is a bit muddled right now, as the cooks are cooking the plants rather than the meat, thus leaving the brewers with nothing to brew.  I would recommend that my successor begin catapult training or decrease the size of the mechanists guild, as they still complain a lot about unemployment.  I built cage traps all over the map to give them work and to provide early warning for ambushes.  The miners are also running our of work a lot due to the bottom level having been mined out, so they need busy work, or different jobs.  Same with the engravers.

I started using chalk as a building material, because we have more of it than we'll ever need.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:49:46 pm by Mook »

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2008, 04:19:08 am »

You can skip me I am very busy at the moment and lack interest in DF for the time being.

Flyingdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2008, 12:50:43 am »

sorry but its just one thing after another,my brothers birthday,taking my cat to get spaded,among them,so now that im back i will update.

*edit*you know what, never mind i quit unless someone wants to play this because i have lost interest in this,dwarf fortess i mean its good and all but it need to be enjoyable not like you're playing a rock{AKA:a unbeatable fortress.}so unless someone wants to play it, it is dead to me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:15:51 am by Flyingdwarf »

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2008, 07:17:25 pm »

I have to say I agree.  At this point only HFS would have a chance of killing Bloodybrain, as all of the native wildlife is now extinct and any megabeasts can be soloed by a single champion.  Even if a siege somehow wiped out the entire military the only people who are friends with the soldiers are other soldiers and the nobles, and all of the common dwarves are strong enough to easily kill a berserking noble.

Unless someone can think of an interesting new direction to take the fortress, I think this succession has more or less run its course.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]