Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tilesets?  (Read 1563 times)

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tilesets?
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:37:04 pm »

Are there any tilesets/character sets that don't glitch up .40d? It seems that Guybrush's tileset works fine for the most part... but Dystopian Rhetoric definitely has some nasty bugs. My royal guards turn into Goblin Speardwarves, for example, and that's with the best of my modding knowledge going to "fixing" the raws to make sure things line up.

Am I missing something or should I just switch to the standard ASCII tileset? Sigh.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tilesets?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:45:59 pm »

The mayday pack works well. The most recent version accually has a few different sets that you could try out, best thing is its not to hard to transfer the mayday pack to a new version of DF (if needed). I could provide an already set up game for you.

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:40 pm »

That would be very kind of you.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:57:17 am »

Dystopian rhetoric works perfectly fine with me, without any modification. Are you sure you didn't make any mistake?

For reference here's my graphics_example.txt. I use the legendary lands mod, but there shouldn't be any problem since the png files are the same
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:05:22 am »

There can't be a mistake because all I did was install it.

At first it was super bugged but that was likely due to the self-install version I used. After manually installing, the biggest error I can find is when I activate a dwarf to be part of the Royal Guard (it only bugs when I have the Queen). They instantly turn into a Goblin Spearman, which is problematic to say the least during any sieges.

But at first I was getting dwarves showing up as scepters and dogs as barrels and such. That has been remedied but I still feel like there are bugs. Somewhere.

moetzger

• Bay Watcher
  • df noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:40:39 am »

hi there. sorry to interrupt your thread, but it fits really well.
tried to use the mayday set from http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm
its a pre-installed game with everything realted to the graphics/tileset already done.
but it doesnt work. loaded savegames from other df install always look scrambled up. didnt try a new game. but that shouldnt matter, or does it?
maybe i should mention that i use the accelerator opengl32.dll

am i missing something?
thanks for all help

EDIT: ok, its the opengl32.dll it fucks all up. thanks though
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:33:17 am by moetzger »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:26:34 am »

Sphr's tileset is also quite good.
Check out this fortress, this is how Sphr's tileset looks like:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3330-steelfortress

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:04:01 am »

Yeah, sorry about the Royal Guard thing. It's all due to a typo in the graphics_example.txt. I'll uh... get round to fixing it eventually. Well, I mean, it's already fixed but I'll release a new, updated tileset at some point.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:00:10 pm »

Speaking of tilesets, does anyone know what tileset the walls from this fort are from?

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4053-pagebend

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 07:07:30 pm »

Someone just posted something else about that set.  I love the walls, but not the floors.  I would kinda love if it was in 8x12 too...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:12:43 pm »

Speaking of tilesets, does anyone know what tileset the walls from this fort are from?

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4053-pagebend

I believe that is Dorten's own tileset.  ;)
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Image:720x225_SmoothWalls.PNG

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:01:02 pm »

I believe that is Dorten's own tileset.  ;)
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Image:720x225_SmoothWalls.PNG
It kind of makes me wonder what DF would look like if all the tiles took after those walls.  Very line based, simple.  Like asteroids with curves.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 04:04:26 pm »

Yeah, sorry about the Royal Guard thing. It's all due to a typo in the graphics_example.txt. I'll uh... get round to fixing it eventually. Well, I mean, it's already fixed but I'll release a new, updated tileset at some point.
I would much appreciate that. I'd fix it myself but honestly I have no clue what to do. So unless you explicitly told me how to fix it, I'd be in the dark about it.  ???

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 04:31:04 pm »

I use May Green's tileset and am rather happy with it.

I do want to mod in warcats (I've never had the heart to slaughter my cats, but I always end up with too many, even when I start with only one kitten) but I don't feel like making a warcat sprite or doing the work to get it in.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 07:33:56 pm »

I would much appreciate that. I'd fix it myself but honestly I have no clue what to do. So unless you explicitly told me how to fix it, I'd be in the dark about it.  ???

It's pretty easy to fix. Just go to the raw folder>graphics>graphics_example. The text file will be full of tokens that look something like this [MILLER:DWARVES:4:8:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
You can use Ctrl+f to find the ones that pertain to royal guards. They will look like this [AXEMAN:DWARVES:2:5:AS_IS:ROYALGUARD]. The reason that you have the wrong picture for the guards is that the two numbers in the middle are referring to the wrong picture. So, open the other file in your graphics folder and find the picture that you want your royal guards to have. Once you have it, all you have to do is use the pictures (which are set up in a graph) to find the correct number. So, if the graphics look like this:
Code: [Select]
A  B  C
D  E  F
G  H  I
and B is the picture you want for your royal guard axeman, you have to change the token in the example file to [AXEMAN:DWARVES:1:0:AS_IS:ROYALGUARD]

Yeah, now that I read that it sounds really confusing, but if you open up the two graphics files and look around and compare a bit I think you'll see what I mean.