Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mark Items for Decoration  (Read 1989 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Items for Decoration
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 08:55:59 am »

Osmosis Jones: that works fine for "I want this item to be decorated, and I don't care how". However, the suggested method was "I want this item to be decorated in this specific way", which would need to be set at the workshop doing the decorating, and in turn require access to the item list.

We need a better way to filter the item list.

Something like SELECT WHERE ITEM IN (GOBLET, INSTRUMENT, TOY, FIGURINE, AMULET, SCEPTER) ORDER BY VALUE

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

seems a bit complicated don't you think?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 02:38:49 pm »

Especially since regular expressions offer a full featured way to do all this already... why not just use those?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 02:49:56 pm »

This is a good idea in the general sense that item selection for decoration needs to be more sophisticated than "grab the closest item."  A melt/dump style thing would help, although I'd prefer something more like a list of item types with a decorate / don't decorate toggle.  What definitely shouldn't be under the player's control is the decoration type -- that should be left to the dwarves' creativity.

Especially since regular expressions offer a full featured way to do all this already... why not just use those?

Regular expressions?  Doesn't that kind of scream "you're not having fun anymore"?  I'm perfectly comfortable with regex but I don't want to use it in a game interface.

On a slightly different topic which is still relevant to decoration, I think engravers should be able to decorate stone/metal items.

I suggest a new order at the Craftsdwarf's Workshop: Engrave Item. I did a quick search and I didn't see it mentioned previously. It would be cool to have thrones, doors, etc. with engravings on them.
You can't engrave metal..
Stone, yes, but not metal.
That'd be more of an Emboss type job, done using Metalcrafting and very similar if not identical to Stud...

Huh?  Depending on the metal and the tools available, it's entirely possible.  There's also etching.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 10:18:01 pm »

How exactly do regular expressions offer a way to do everything (including choosing sort order - or even limiting to numbers less than or greater than a certain amount) that a SQL-like language would?

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 11:32:10 am »

WTF people. You can't seriously be suggesting regular expressions as an interface improvement? :) The most pressing usability problem is that the UI is too complex, not that the game mechanics are too limiting.

General rule for PC UI design: if it can't be easily navigated with a mouse, it's too complicated.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 11:50:07 am »

WTF people. You can't seriously be suggesting regular expressions as an interface improvement? :) The most pressing usability problem is that the UI is too complex, not that the game mechanics are too limiting.

General rule for PC UI design: if it can't be easily navigated with a mouse, it's too complicated.

I'm not - I'm suggesting SQL (well, sort of...) - which isn't as much of a WTF as it sounds like - a simple subset can easily correspond to the sort of "variable criteria search" guis you sometimes see in email clients

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »

I'm actually glad that a mouse is unnecessary in DF: less strain on the wrist, direct access to more commands, and faster.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 05:43:33 am »

I'm actually glad that a mouse is unnecessary in DF: less strain on the wrist, direct access to more commands, and faster.

I totally agree that it would be awesome if DF always remains playable using only the keyboard. But I also hope it will at some unknown point in the far future also be playable using only the mouse. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.
Pages: 1 [2]