Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble Fills Pond...  (Read 807 times)

Urist McDwarf

Noble Fills Pond...
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:41:09 am »

So my Duchess has taken it upon herself to fill my lower cistern.  This is actual work that I don't mind, but she's taking the water from a well that draws water from the same source.  Any good ideas to fix this?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Fills Pond...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:47:57 am »

...get a brook? Find an aquifer? Make craters, and than wait for it to rain?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Urist McDwarf

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:52:02 am »

The fort's in a glacier, with regular snowstorms.  Tried channeling an aquifer from across the map, but the intervening ice freezes the liquid water on contact.  I could try using a channel in the bedrock below, but with the current layout of the fort this seems to be a recipe for an early disaster.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:42:31 pm »

Hi!

Forbid the well while you fill the pond and deactivate the pond while you have the well active. IIRC, that should help with this problem.

Deathworks

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 01:58:43 am »

The fort's in a glacier, with regular snowstorms.  Tried channeling an aquifer from across the map, but the intervening ice freezes the liquid water on contact.  I could try using a channel in the bedrock below, but with the current layout of the fort this seems to be a recipe for an early disaster.

Drop aquifer water really really far down then use a pump to bring it back up a z-level and depressurize it.