Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave Adapted Tag?  (Read 1184 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave Adapted Tag?
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:06:25 am »

I'm making a Dark Elf race, Is it possible to add a Cave Adapted Tag? :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Adapted Tag?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:46:26 am »

Yes.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:21 am »

Yes.

... And dare I ask what that tag would be? :P
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:07:38 am »

Look at dwarves.  Right in their creature entry, their is a pretty self-explanatory tag that performs the function of making them become cave adapt if they spend too much time in caves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:43:29 am »

Look at dwarves.  Right in their creature entry, their is a pretty self-explanatory tag that performs the function of making them become cave adapt if they spend too much time in caves.

Indeed, but I want them to *be* cave adapted, rather than able to become cave adapted - which is where the problem is.

Dark Elves cannot stand the sun on their deep-darkness sensetive eyes and whatnot, see.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:29:39 am »

The problem is that currently it's only a possibility to become cave-adapted. Maybe someday Toady makes a perma-cave-adapt. tag. Go make a suggestion :).

P.S. Oh. Another dark elves' mod *facepalm*. We've got hundreds of orc mods and now dark elves or drow again :). No offence, man, it just becomes to be something too repititive.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:10:48 am »

Indeed, but I want them to *be* cave adapted, rather than able to become cave adapted - which is where the problem is.

Dark Elves cannot stand the sun on their deep-darkness sensetive eyes and whatnot, see.

But they have to live underground for a while before they GET those eyes, and you can't start underground, so really, common sense should have told you...what's the point.

I realise this argument applies to dwarves as well. It's a bit silly that dwarves come from an underground fortress but aren't cave-adapted at the start of the game. Maybe the long trip on the surface made them acclimatised to the sun?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:20:01 am »

I realise this argument applies to dwarves as well. It's a bit silly that dwarves come from an underground fortress but aren't cave-adapted at the start of the game. Maybe the long trip on the surface made them acclimatised to the sun?

Actually, i you visit in adventure mode you'll see that dwarves at the mountain homes spend a lot of their time on the surface wrestling goats and punching out marmots.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

The problem is that currently it's only a possibility to become cave-adapted. Maybe someday Toady makes a perma-cave-adapt. tag. Go make a suggestion :).

P.S. Oh. Another dark elves' mod *facepalm*. We've got hundreds of orc mods and now dark elves or drow again :). No offence, man, it just becomes to be something too repititive.

As far as I know the "hundreds of Orc mods" are just a lot of people using Rysith's orcs or faint variations thereof.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 04:15:30 pm »

I don't think that everyone copied his raws. They just cannot be too different since it's a same race :).
The uruks in my Middle Earth mod were made from a scratch for example. They are still old green orcs :). Just somewhat larger goblins.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 07:51:05 pm »

I'm a fan of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'urden books, and it covers widely Drow, of all the fantasy races not in Dwarf Fortress, I thought I'd start with those... Then we need some halflings to cook and some Gnomes to enslave.

I seem to be having problems applying my Dark Elves, though... I'll have to post the codes tomorrow though, I live with my old croney (at nearly 19), and she has a twisted view of Power usage and fairness :D

Night and Merry Christmas =].
A pool of Dwarven Ale.