Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sand castles shouldn't be possible  (Read 2077 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sand castles shouldn't be possible
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 01:48:31 am »

I think that there are a lot of different variables when it comes to sand density; you have to keep in mind that sand eventually compresses into sandstone. So deeper sand layers should be harder; wet sand layers should be harder; parts of sand dunes should be harder, etc. That would require some pretty fine gradients of sand type, however.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 01:54:08 am »

Hmm.. yeah, good point. I'm confused now, lol. I still don't think that it's logical to build a huge throne room out of sand, though.

Heh, I thought of this when playing D&D with a dungeon made with DF. I described a goblin castle carved into the sand, and a player decided it would be fun to dig a path from the moat to the throne room.. destroying the castle in a very DF way ;) And completing the quest of wiping out the goblins too.. but drowning out all the treasure.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 02:39:32 am »

The sand here is almost hard as stone and requires a pickaxe or front end loader to handle well.

Its glacial sand so its been compressed a lot, but its still sand.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 03:47:24 am »

Giving it a year before the periodic table itself gets worked in.

No no no, that's the Quantum Interaction Arc, the "periodic system arc" is just a menu on top of it to simplify things.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 10:55:50 am »

I think that there are a lot of different variables when it comes to sand density; you have to keep in mind that sand eventually compresses into sandstone. So deeper sand layers should be harder; wet sand layers should be harder; parts of sand dunes should be harder, etc. That would require some pretty fine gradients of sand type, however.

Yes but we are talking about sand, and not about sandstone.  ;) Wet sand or not, it's simply not a good material to build anything out of it. It's way too loose.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 05:12:03 pm »

Maybe there could be a special shop that could process regular sand into an adobe-like substance, or a poor man's concrete?

It's not that it's necessary, ofcourse, it's just another detail to add to the game. Maybe the shop could require saltwater, instead of fresh water, making DF's-by-the-beach a little more interesting.
For they would be your masters.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 07:37:09 am »

I don't think a shop which essentially produces rocks would be useful :P Better to make a glass fortress from it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 07:48:29 am »

stummel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 07:50:32 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe

sand, clay, dung, straw.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 09:24:48 pm »

Oversimplification goes out on a date with overcomplication, for fun and profit:

sand + workshop + good ole' dwarf sweat & toil = adobe. adobe + kiln = brick. adobe = lime ash (courtesy of charcoal burner + limestone deposit) + kiln = cement block. Cement blocks would be as strong as granite, possibly even stronger. Lime ash + sand + rocknut = mortar. Mortar + any kind of stone/adobe/brick/block = increased strength and resilience for whatever you're building out of it.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2]