Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for Way to Implement Glass  (Read 672 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea for Way to Implement Glass
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:46:22 pm »

I am VERY happy with the progression of the next release.  Raws that can refer to anything, reactions in their appropriate place…  But one thing that has always gotten me is how glass is hardcoded.  We have glass, in three types, unmodifiable, and some of the only ways to make more involve making metals called glass, and require smelter (or, now, glass shop) reactions to make them.  For the ‘raw glass’ gem equivalent (like ‘raw green glass’), we mod in a gem that can only be made by a smelter reaction.  And those like me that make entire forts of nothing but green glass mod in stones and such called Green Glass that can be made of green glass, so that we can make mechanisms out of it.  While this generally works, the new things are not glass, working with them increases smelter abilities, working with the resulting ‘glass’ requires metal working skillz, and items made out of them are never quite right… they still don’t behave quite right.  There’s been various colored ‘glass’ mods including my own which worked in similar ways, making glass that has various uses or, in some cases, just different colors for aesthetics.
So: a way to deal with glass.  Use the metal raws.  Have a tag, like how the tag [SHARP] lets one use it as a ‘sharpenable’ stone, that implies glass properties… I recommend [GLASS].  Also, this ‘glass’ tag should require a small set of other tags: reagents needed to make this glass.  So 'Cheese Glass' would have [GLASS] and [REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GRANITE] to make some weird thing that requires granite.  What this ‘glass’ tag would do is imply all the usual traits that are usually hardcoded for glass.  This includes: being made out of sand + whatever reagents are chosen, that all reactions with it are done at glassworker shop using glassblower skill, having an appropriate gem equivalent (like ‘raw green glass’), being unusable for most weapons except trap components, ect… BUT do not have this tag restrict it from other tags.  So if I want a specialized glass made out of glass and some other metal that can make ALL weapons, I can add the [WEAPON] tag to the metal and it shall be used for weapons, albeit at the glassworkers shop using the glassworker’s skill…  or better yet, a 50-50 split between glassworker and weaponsmith for weapons.
A simplification to this would be to ignore the part about reagents here, and fix it so bags of sand can be referred to as reagents.  That way we could just make reactions in the reaction raws for ‘make cheese glass’ that require a bag of sand the way ‘make green glass’ would.
Such a system would make working with glasses much easier…
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:51:28 pm by Pickerel »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for Way to Implement Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:55:09 pm »

A simplification to this would be to ignore the part about reagents here, and fix it so bags of sand can be referred to as reagents.  That way we could just make reactions in the reaction raws for ‘make cheese glass’ that require a bag of sand the way ‘make green glass’ would.

This, pretty much; however, to do it properly we'd need to be able to crack open the raws for the glass workshop, and right now only the simplest of shops is being allowed for open raws; the smelter, and come next version, others such as the millstone, tannery and alchemist's shop.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!