Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Radioactive Soap?  (Read 2765 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive Soap?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:58:38 am »

hmm, sacrifice 10 dwarves to make a plutonium ballista bolt to shoot at the dragon? totally worth it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 05:01:09 pm »

Eh, plutonium has too short a half-life to occur naturally(ie, it's all decayed by now).

Maybe some kind of natural reactor could form some.

Signature goes here.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:48 pm »

Steam engines are not that out of scope, it was only -2000 years too late for that, the Ancient Greeks built something like this it may not have done much work, but it could still be used for such a thing when combined with superior dwarf craftsmanship

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 11:31:02 pm »

I wasn't really thinking that dwarfs could *use* plutonium, not to forge anything, more like it would be a rock that happens to kill dwarfs, and anything else it comes in direct contact with.
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 12:58:51 am »

Plutonium doesn't occur naturally.

Well, if it DOES, it's in extremely small quantities in natural reactors or something.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 04:56:43 am »

Well, no, but it could in a fantasy world. Especially if it adds to the enjoyment of the game.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 09:17:33 am »

Yes, let us enjoy roasting marshmallows over our miner's minds, as they slowly roast.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 05:14:24 pm »

Well, no, but it could in a fantasy world. Especially if it adds to the enjoyment of the game.

Sure, if there's some in-game explanation for it, but throwing any unrealistic thing into the game and pulling an "it's FANTASY, shut up" explanation out your ass isn't going to look very professional. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 06:47:23 pm »

Sure, if there's some in-game explanation for it, but throwing any unrealistic thing into the game and pulling an "it's FANTASY, shut up" explanation out your ass isn't going to look very professional. :P

I totally agree with you, but coming up with a good explanation is part of the fun :P

One reason that I'd like plutonium in the game is because, at some point, I'd like to mod in a species of sentient, but immobile, psychic crystals that will also be highly dangerous, much like the plutonium, but that *could* possibly be interacted with, on atleast some levels.

The idea of plutonium is that it's not intelligent, it's just a lump of metal, but it's still extremely dangerous to pretty much anything it encounters.

The reason I chose specifically plutonium is that it's, first of all, a recogniseable metal, and secondly, the single most poisonous element on Earth (that I know about, anyway). "Plutonium" is a cool name, anyway, since it's named after the Greek god of the underworld.

So if I can shoehorn it in, in a satisfactory way, I'd like to, but I'm badger enough to admit that it's a shoehorn.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 09:40:43 pm »

Uranium is also deadly and occurs naturally.  Arsenic is far more deadly, as it can kill rather quickly.  If you want random deadly stuff, why add in something that does not even occur naturally and is less deadly than stuff that does?  Arsenic and Uranium ores are already in the game.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:11 am »

Uranium ores tend to be probably low-purity, and don't contain elemental Uranium, unfortunately.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 10:13:00 am »

Even if you had plutonium ore in the game, you'd (realistically) never see the metal.  It's incredibly reactive and more or less bursts into flames when exposed to air as it oxidizes and expands something like 70% upon doing so.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 10:15:00 am »

Even if you had plutonium ore in the game, you'd (realistically) never see the metal.  It's incredibly reactive and more or less bursts into flames when exposed to air as it oxidizes and expands something like 70% upon doing so.

that would be awesome!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 05:01:24 pm »

Deadly exploding radioactive plutonium landmines is exactly what I had in mind.

I guess a similar effect *could* just be caused by an unstable crystal creature, possibly one that couldn't tolerate the stresses of being mind/exposed to the air/in the same room with a dwarf, what have you, without going-pardon the pun-nuclear.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 07:26:12 am »

you can already mine those. You just don't WANT to mine those.
They're FUN stuff in the minerals mod, already.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]