Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheese (Plant)  (Read 1876 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
Cheese (Plant)
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:14:37 pm »

Playing DF, I saw this little note and started thinking-what would plant cheese be like? Continuing on that line of thought, I realized with a small grin-tofu!

Think about it. Tofu can be described as "curds," which are also instrumental in making cheese when talking about cows (or purring maggots, though that's hard to say, and also somewhat sickening to ponder. I mean, maggots?)

Assuming that we keep its origins in beans, then why not create a common bean in DF? It's something I've never seen modelled, and something that could be interesting. Call the plants "citadel creepers" or "cavern vines," call the beans "cavebeans" or "cavesoy," and allow them to be milked, then made into tofu/cheese.

Three new things, two categories now including items, and something else for Dwarves to grow.

Not bad for a first post, mmn?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese (Plant)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 09:59:57 pm »

I have always wondered why that category exists in the stockpile system.  Theirs nothing in it right now and frankly I see no reason for distinguishing such cheese from normal cheese if it ever exists. 

I'd much rather see the limited space in the inventory list used to do more important things like separating Dye from edible flour.  Many other people have commented on the poor organization of stockpile lists and even created improved lists.

In conclusion Plant cheeses would be a fine addition to the game, probably you have to do a process to barrel on the plant to create a liquid that the cheese maker then uses.  It would if nothing else make cheese makers usable (or Toady could quite screwing around with the shades of eyes and actually fix the milking of animals, but noooo that would require some piece of code to actually be re-written which is apparently forbidden in the insane waterfall coding style slavishly adhered too and promoted by sycophants around here!)
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:15:33 pm »

Playing DF, I saw this little note and started thinking-what would plant cheese be like? Continuing on that line of thought, I realized with a small grin-tofu!

Think about it. Tofu can be described as "curds," which are also instrumental in making cheese when talking about cows (or purring maggots, though that's hard to say, and also somewhat sickening to ponder. I mean, maggots?)

Assuming that we keep its origins in beans, then why not create a common bean in DF? It's something I've never seen modelled, and something that could be interesting. Call the plants "citadel creepers" or "cavern vines," call the beans "cavebeans" or "cavesoy," and allow them to be milked, then made into tofu/cheese.

Three new things, two categories now including items, and something else for Dwarves to grow.

Not bad for a first post, mmn?

Yeah, I've always envisioned cheese(plant) as tofu.

Having made both tofu and cheese at home, the processes are very similar.  In game, I imagine the "soybeans" (or whatever they're called) could be made into "soymilk" (or whatever it's called) with the process plants to barrel command at the farmer's workshop.  Soymilk would be kept under extracts (plant) as well.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:21:52 am »

I've been wanting to do soy, tofu and other soy products as well -- it's on my "to mod" list for the next release.  It looks like the new plant raws are flexible enough that you could easily use a custom milk as the extract or drink.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 02:30:55 am »

Having to eat tofu should rank below eating live rats

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 05:53:25 am »

When possible Christes prefers to consume tofu and herbal tea.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:59:21 am »

When possible Christes prefers to consume tofu and herbal tea.

Christes needs to dwarf the fuck up and consume plump helmets and dwarven wine :D

EDIT:  I actually kindof like this idea.  Variation in food production is always (within reasonable limits) a good idea.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 11:46:18 am »

Actually what it needs to have is the [cooked_edible] tag and not the [raw_editable] tag or the [processed_edible] tag.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 12:24:23 pm »

Actually what it needs to have is the [cooked_edible] tag and not the [raw_editable] tag or the [processed_edible] tag.

Yeah, pretty much.

Tofu is damn near impossible to get right, but if you FRY it and serve it in that brown Chinese gravy, then it's utterly delicious.