Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding contest ideas/rules discussion  (Read 906 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Modding contest ideas/rules discussion
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:59:19 pm »

Seeing as how the next interesting version of DF is going to come out in the next 1-3 years I have decided to get ahead of myself, and by that I mean go into something I barely have any idea of how to do myself.

The basic idea of this is to create a creature from scratch following a strict points limit. I'm not sure how many points you're limited to, because there's so much to add, so I thought it should be a little more than enough for two core bodies, head, movement parts, and something to hold things.

So without further ado here is the V.0 of the Creature mod contest 1 rules list.

V.0 rules contents

0.0 Basic Stuff

0.1 Basic idea
0.2 Basic Rules
0.3 About everything else
0.4 Basically items...

1.0 After you made your creature, and it survived world gen.

1.1 Playing the game

2.0 Now how should we handle points!
-\_(0_o)_/-

2.1 Important stuff first

Basic Stuff

0.1 Basic idea
:Create a creature using DF modding templates. That creature must be able to build a civilization, and basically survive world gen. Participant's creations will be thrust into a special world full of only other modders creatures who have participated in this topic in order to see who's creature is more superior or is just able to survive the harsh settings. Along with other civ creatures all other less destructive creatures e.g. cows, deers, etc will be removed and replaced with tougher creatures, to make things more interesting.
0.2 Basic Rules: Make a creature, and three other creatures tuned to your own creations with out going over the points limit. Your creature must be able to survive world gen with at least two cities left in the world. The three creatures tuned to your own creations must be a food source creature/pack animal, war animal, and vermin hunter, your limited to only embarking with these three creatures, and all of these characteristics must not be packed into one convenient creature.
0.3 About everything else from crops, drinks, cloths, weapons, basically the items apartments. Can be changed to your likings, except I must ask that you not give your creatures access to a bajillion different crops. Instead just change plump helmet into Sweet clouds if you're creature is some sort of weasel with wings or short swords into Sais if you've got some ninja civ going on.
0.4 Basically items from the vanilla version can only be made into flavor items for your creatures i.e. you can not change the old items characteristics.

After you made your creature, and it survived world gen.

1.0 Playing the game
: Play the special DF world with your creature, and see how stuff goes from there.

-This section should be discussed heavily-

2.0 Now how should we handle points! -\_(0_o)_/-

2.1 Important stuff first As we know in DF size matters, it's what determines how well a creature will fare in battle, so to make things challenging I suggest that this be one of the more costly things.

{Basic structure}
Head
Upper body-L Arm-R Arm-L R Grasper
Lower body-L Leg-R Leg-L R feet

So I guess this should be something of the basic template, if you feel like it your creature doesn't need to be humanoid, but it must have all of these things! Anything else, wings, organs, are not mandatory due there being the [no breath] tag of course that should cost more than having some sorta organ for breathing.

-This of course should be discussed the most-
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding contest ideas/rules discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 06:33:55 pm »

Extra limbs should probably cost something.  The race I usually play has wings and a tail.  While unarmored these become non vital target spots for enemies.

The only time they can be disadvantageous is when an otherwise fully armored soldier's extra limbs can't be covered with existing armor.  Which makes weak points for pain or bleeding. However I believe plate armor covers just about everything anywhere near an upperbody connection.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Serg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:00:20 pm »

Are you planning on doing this for the current version or the future version?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:05:19 pm »

Extra limbs should probably cost something.  The race I usually play has wings and a tail.  While unarmored these become non vital target spots for enemies.

The only time they can be disadvantageous is when an otherwise fully armored soldier's extra limbs can't be covered with existing armor.  Which makes weak points for pain or bleeding. However I believe plate armor covers just about everything anywhere near an upperbody connection.

I say that aslong as that extra limb dose something it should cost something. By the way do you know if extra grasps allow creatures carry more things or become more effective in a fight?

Are you planning on doing this for the current version or the future version?

Honestly I really do not want to rush this thing. That, and I need to learn more about modding DF.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:26:26 pm »

By the way do you know if extra grasps allow creatures carry more things or become more effective in a fight?

Extra grasps can be used to hold additional shields, providing a considerable defensive advantage.  Also, making Shield User train very quickly.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »

I'd be all up for this. It should be fairly easy to come up with a pretty simple formula. I would suggest just allowing the standard items, and having a point cost associated with each one (depending on their total stats, perhaps).

Things like special flags (fire breathing, immunity to fire, water breathing) should all have a certain point cost, as well as different things like having multiple areas for your civ to live in (the more biomes you can build cities in, the faster your civ will expand), the birth rate, things like that.  There are a -lot- of ways to make an uberciv, though, so the list should be fairly expansive.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:14:23 pm »

I'd be all up for this. It should be fairly easy to come up with a pretty simple formula. I would suggest just allowing the standard items, and having a point cost associated with each one (depending on their total stats, perhaps).

Things like special flags (fire breathing, immunity to fire, water breathing) should all have a certain point cost, as well as different things like having multiple areas for your civ to live in (the more biomes you can build cities in, the faster your civ will expand), the birth rate, things like that.  There are a -lot- of ways to make an uberciv, though, so the list should be fairly expansive.

Hm, I'm going to need a full list of most of these tags. Anyone know where to find, if you do know where it is just post it here sos we cans shift points costs around.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 12:18:14 am »

Hm, I'm going to need a full list of most of these tags. Anyone know where to find, if you do know where it is just post it here sos we cans shift points costs around.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Modding

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »

Sounds fun. I havent messed around with DF enough to know what makes a civ uber or not but i'd like to participate.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 04:37:50 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Modding

Hm, thanks. I'll look over most of tags when I get chance to. Everyone else better be making suggestions too!

Sounds fun. I havent messed around with DF enough to know what makes a civ uber or not but i'd like to participate.

Don't worry, this will probably begin in about 7-8 months give or take.