Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nerfing traps?  (Read 973 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Nerfing traps?
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:07:01 am »

I've seen lots of discussion about tunneling units, but my big question is more general--how do we force the player to rely less on the long hallway filled with traps, possibly with ballistas at the end?

So far, suggestions that might work are mechanics (who would have some chance of finding and disabling a trap before it killed them), tunnelers who dig their way into untrapped rooms, and, of course, the flood-it-with-magma approach.

Related trap suggestions that I've seen are making traps take up a certain amount of space, and introducing possible malfunctions.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Nerfing traps?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:09:37 am »

I've suggested "mechanics" a while ago. Those special units could spot and disable traps.  :)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:32:54 am »

check the mechanics suggestion in my sig... it's got a lot of 'make traps require player engineering to be more complicated than snares' suggestions.

Also, 3 weapons to a trap helps...

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:03:37 pm »

Hunh. So this whole topic is kinda pointless.

... Okay!
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.