Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alligators  (Read 827 times)

hotcakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alligators
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:59:20 am »

so the elves have saved themselves from being used in the test run for my trade depot defense mechanism (drops the entire trade depot in magma)(also useful for stopping sieges b/c the magma mist from the cave rushes thru vents to deep fry any sieges that are present, but i digress) the elves brought me a tame alligator and i dont know what to do with him. Now i heard from a previous thread that these pesky scaly critters have the building destroyer tag and even tho they are tame will proceed to destory my base with no consequences. so my question is is this true, and what should i do with my pet
My new !!Cave spider silk shirt!! is Hot!
Does anyone else smell smoke?
no?
ok I'm going to go chill in the alcohol stockpile.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Alligators
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 11:29:47 am »

Wait until the elves bring another opposite gender alligator, chain them up somewhere, and profit on +alligator handbags+

You could train it assuming it has the trainable tag on it, and put it into a pit, but if it has the exotic tag on it you'll need a dungeon master.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:54:41 am »

Alligators don't have [BUILDINGDESTOYER], that's cave crocodiles. But yeah, you need a dungeon master to do anything you could with regular pets with them.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

hotcakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:26:33 pm »

oh its already tame but thanks for clearing that up i cant wait to try it out some unsupecting goblin prisoners
My new !!Cave spider silk shirt!! is Hot!
Does anyone else smell smoke?
no?
ok I'm going to go chill in the alcohol stockpile.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:25:29 pm »

be sure to take the goblin's weapons away first though. Alligators are pretty strong but I had a goblin swordsman chop one of mine up pretty well before it ate him and the elves never delivered a replacement :(

They did send me a Giant Eagle a few years later though, which is even better!
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:13:31 am »

Sadly, tamed animals are never savage enough.

I had a glacial fortress with a tamed GCS that I fed migrants via drop-bridge, but animals react differently to goblins...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:20:51 am »

I love the elves on my map ...

Two years ago they brought a breeding couple of Giant Jaguars. I'm still toying with the idea of making these trainable as war animals since none of the dwarves wants them as a pet ...

This year? A breeding couple again, Giant Desert Scorpions.

These do have Building Destroyer, so I can't use them as pets ... currently I'm switching my Ambush Detection System to use cage traps instead of weapons traps, and hope to catch a few Kobold and Goblin gladiators soon.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 07:05:53 am »

for critters with building destroyer, it seems that the tag is disabled if you have the ability to tame exotic pets, i.e. you have the dungeon master present before the caravan arrives to sell the animal to you.

First caravan sells you exotic monster A, you have no DM and can't tame exotic beasts, the animal counts as tame, but the game things it isn't, so it causes problems. (have it moved from one cage to another. It will attack one nearby dwarf if you do this.)

Years later another caravan arrives, you have a DM, it sells you exotic beast B, oh look, you can tame these anyway, the critter is the perfect little pet.

Agent Fransis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 09:38:21 am »

I assume the OP referred to my 'Help! being terrorized by crocodile' thread. In that case the crocodile was hostile only because he killed one of my dwarfs before being captured and tamed. I had many other perfectly tame cave crocodiles too. His behavior was buggy though, as instead of just being aggressive, he was only aggressive towards buildings and everyone ignored him. I removed the building destroyer tag so he wouldn't bother me anymore.