Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Static bridges  (Read 1829 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Static bridges
« on: August 25, 2007, 11:06:00 am »

The outside bridges are all static, but you can't build them indoors. Of course, currently there's no need.

In real life, a static (that is, immovable) bridge has several advantages. It's much easier to build, and can be built stronger, and hence bigger. None of these are an issue in Dwarf Fortress as of yet, since a bridge can be erected in seconds by just anyone, but that could always change...

One thing that would make them useful is if you were able to build bridges off of them.

That is, currently a drawbridge needs to be "hinged" on land, but now you could also hinge it off of a static bridge. That would expand your options a bit.

Of course, there'd have to be a game mechanic for what happens when a bridge is destroyed that has other bridges hinged onto it...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Static bridges
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »

By static do you mean "not a rope bridge"? AFAIK all bridges are the same right now, that is, made out of rock or metal. Drawbridges can be built anywhere without regard to where they hinge, even over water. Maybe I just don't understand what you want added to the game.

I don't think there'd be much point to building unsteady rope bridges in Fortress Mode, even if rock bridges took longer to build or something. Having your adventurer trying to cross a wobbly bridge of rotting wood over a canyon might be pretty fun, though, especially with z-levels in. Maybe elves would favor rope bridges if they ever needed one.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »

By static he means "doesn't move." Currently, all (indoor) bridges either retract or are drawbridges.

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Ryven ]

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ryven:
<STRONG>By static he means "doesn't move." Currently, all (indoor) bridges either retract or are drawbridges.
</STRONG>

Indeed. There's always room for misunderstandings, I guess. Except in logic and mathematics.

By static bridges I mean the kind of bridges that are anchored firmly in place, whether suspended by ropes, standing on pillars or whatnot. The kind that doesn't raise, retract, swing, or otherwise move into another position. By design, that is. And excluding such things as swaying in the wind et cetera.

Another feature is that they can be built tremendously higher and longer than a retractable bridge, and that gives me an idea...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>since a bridge can be erected in seconds by just anyone, but that could always change...
</STRONG>

Well, if you want to get technical, building a bridge takes a good week game time. Half of it just material gathering. :P

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]