Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobility suites to let  (Read 1387 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Nobility suites to let
« on: December 22, 2008, 07:36:27 am »

So, in anticipation of my Queen's arrival I had built a royal throne room, 2 royal dining rooms, 2 royal bedrooms, 2 royal mausoleums... You know, the full set. Including the rooms for her advisor.

But...

When she arrived her consort didn't arrive with her. Nor did the advisor. I wondered if it's because they weren't listed in the civilisation menu though I had often thought that it's because they weren't important enough to be listed in there. A husband was listed in the queen's relationship list (along with all her extended family) so I can only assume that her husband is deceased. Still, I had expected that the advisor would arrive with her at the very least.

So now I have an extra royal bedroom/dining room/tomb. Oh, and the rooms for the advisor too. What's vexing is that I had meticulously planned out the layout for these rooms, smoothed and engraved the floors and walls, furnished it with exquisite furniture, etc etc etc... And though I despise all the nobles (except for my very useful dungeon master) I hate to have commoners living in these rooms. The common should stay oppressed common and sleep in filthy practical 2 by 1 dirt rooms close to the noisy workshops so they can get to slave work faster. I already have special rooms made for my legendary/champ dwarfs and my mayor lives in a high tower above ground. It doesn't seem right to give my duchess the spare royal rooms either.

Any ideas on what I should do to vent out my frustation on this no-show?

Note: The queen arrived due to normal circumstances and not via discovery of adamantine.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Nobility suites to let
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:29:41 am »

Flood the room with carp.

Or give it to your favorite dwarf.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:24:46 am »

you like the dungeon master, give it the dungeonmaster!
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:27:40 am »

Give it to a peasant and watch all the nobles go melancholic.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:55:17 am »

Give it to a legendary.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:12:36 pm »

Wait until a goblin leader invades and capture it in a cage.

Put the cage in the room and hook it up to a lever. Lock all the doors into the room. Optionally include a cheesemaker sacrifice. Pull the lever. Congratulations, you have a noble goblin POW.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »

Put the cage in the room and hook it up to a lever. Lock all the doors into the room. Optionally include a cheesemaker sacrifice. Pull the lever. Congratulations, you have a noble goblin POW.

Best idea yet. With any luck i can get the goblin leader to seduce the queen or the other way around and then they'll get married and I'll get a complete royal couple. From that day on a race of half goblin-half dwarf will rise to supremacy and subjugate both the dwarven and goblin civilisations.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:53:56 am »

Best idea yet. With any luck i can get the goblin leader to seduce the queen or the other way around and then they'll get married and I'll get a complete royal couple. From that day on a race of half goblin-half dwarf will rise to supremacy and subjugate both the dwarven and goblin civilisations.

Sounds erotic, let us know if you succeed. Optionally make sure you have a back up file just in case, optionally use Dwarf Companion.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:07:33 pm »

Replace the bed in the royal bedroom with the coffin of a dwarf that died a heroic death.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:02 pm »

Greetings!

How about making them a complex dining hall/ball room? Of course, I do not know the layout of your fortress, but if you could gather all the unused rooms in a separate section, you could make all the doors internal and turn it all into a big meeting hall. Put in some extra furniture but also leave lots of space for standing around.

You know, I am thinking about all those fancy residences like Versailles, or the things you see in the movies about the high society of the 19th century.

Deathworks

EverybodylovesTJ

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McNaughty
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 04:48:47 pm »

Holy Carp Deathworks is back!

Also, you should probably do the Goblin thing. You'll finally discover how there are Goblins in Dwarven Civs!
Need I even mention the GIANT ASS BOOK?
Quote from: Toady One
So even if you aren't really hurting the titan, at least you can make little marks on it and bother it or something.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 05:00:46 pm »

For bonus points, install a clear glass window between their bedroom and the hallway. The halls shall floweth over with green.