Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a fortress for adventuring.  (Read 1900 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Creating a fortress for adventuring.
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:29:34 pm »

So, I was building a fortress, specifically for the purpose of adventuring, and I wasn't quite sure what would work in adventure mode (Apparently, traps do not.)

So, what does work in adventure mode, that can be built in fortress mode?

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a fortress for adventuring.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:33:24 pm »

Capturing as many hostiles creature and putting them in pressure pad connected cages works well. Also, put all of your adamantine artifact weapons in bins made of a heavy material, place said bins deep in a labyrinth or something.

And lots of engravings. Reading about why exactly a dwarf is surrounded by sturgeons never gets old.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:35:40 pm »

So pressure pads DO work? Would this also work for, say pouring magma over the entrance and having to escape out the secret passageway?

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »

So pressure pads DO work?

Dunno, I was just hazarding a guess that they do. We may need to call a mythbuster for this.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 04:41:34 pm »

So pressure pads DO work?

Dunno, I was just hazarding a guess that they do. We may need to call a mythbuster for this.
Hmm... Maybe I'll check it out. I mean, I DID set all my dwarves to move at super speed... and not eat... or drink... or sleep ...It's only mid spring and I've managed to mine out a huge hallways, complete with dining rooms and build a three story tower out of crystal glass blocks.

Now they're all chilling up on the mountains.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:44:14 pm »

Also, fun fact: Weapon Trap parts can be wielded in adventure mode. Make sure you have a few serrated blades and enormous corkscrews laying about.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:46:44 pm »

That's cool, but I wanna know what's possible with traps, pressure pads, levers, magma, water, and what-not, so I can plan accordingly.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:36:08 am »

There've been a couple of threads about how to prepare a fortress for Adventuring ...

For example iirc you need to change stuff in the INI to make traps exist in Adventurer mode; stumbling into a cage trap in Adventurer mode is problematic; etc.

General thread on abandoning and what it does
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24431.0

Cage traps may freeze the game; INI settings discussed
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21519.0

Magma, Levers, Mining in adventurer mode etc:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=17981.0

Mcdirt says traps don't work in adventure, neither do pressure plates:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28240.0

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:29:25 am »

Just so yall know, there is an option in the init.txt file to enable traps in adventurer mode. It's turned off by default so your adventurer can walk around your fortresses without being diced into little pieces.

Also, if you get cage trapped, nothing to do but quit or sit there doing nothing.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 09:21:31 am »

Yeah, pressure plates only work IF you turn traps on, but if you do that you have to be sensitive to the fact that traps are overpowered even against adventurers - cage traps are an instant game over, and highly powered weapon traps are almost always automatically lethal as well.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 09:56:16 am »

Yeah, pressure plates only work IF you turn traps on, but if you do that you have to be sensitive to the fact that traps are overpowered even against adventurers - cage traps are an instant game over, and highly powered weapon traps are almost always automatically lethal as well.
WRONG!
Traps don't work at all in Adventure Mode, even if you turn the option in the INI on. Neither do presure plates, but I'm not completely sure about that.
But levers still work and the "Which door should I kick down?" game never gets old.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 10:34:16 am »

A recent change? They used to work.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 05:00:59 am »

be careful what you stick in your fort. i just tried abandoning a fort and exploring it with a start now character to check out my setup. it was a 7 by 7 fort, which ran pretty good on my system, even when i had 190 dwarves and lots and lots of water moving around in pumps and artificial rivers and huge artificial underground caverns with tonnes of waterfalls and things.

it was so SLOW in adventure mode. totally unplayable.

make cool stuff for yourself as well. i left a bunch of masterwork adamantine serrated discs for the purpose of throwing at things. since my adventurer started without a weapon, as i just wanted to check a few of my things out before doing a proper explore, i ended up stabbing things with a giant cedar ballista bolt i found out the front. it was amazingly effective. next time im making up some adamantium tipped masterwork ones to see how they go.

upond arriving i heard a million giant olms, lizardmen, frogmen and snakemen cry out in terror, and then there was silence (they fell into the chasm)

and as soon as i got inside i had reports of one of my adamantium clad dwarven chapions with a silver battle axe (oops) killing massive numbers of things. and he was doing 10 or so actions for every tile a moved. all that training paid off. glad at least one survived, i was trying to get some of them to fall asleep and get stuck in cage traps by putting a squad in a locked room with them. they stayed awake for 2 years, and i had to drop food and booze in a hole in the roof to keep them alive, and eventually one got depressed and crazy... so no go there unless you have godlike patience.

summary - traps dont work at all. still dont know if pressure plates work, but adventure mode is really SLOW compared to fort mode, so dont do crazy tricks with water. and stuff manages to get absolutely everywhere, although locked doors seem to do a good job of containing creatures and items in sections of the fort. they mostly die unless caged though.

im so dissapointed my awesome tower cap filled watercaves are out of reach of even my fairly nice computer...