Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Mac 40d] Insane framerate, counter won't work  (Read 1285 times)

Lucien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Mac 40d] Insane framerate, counter won't work
« on: December 09, 2008, 04:16:36 pm »

I'm not sure if this is my computer flexing its processor muscles or what, but after making the following changes to the init file, my framerate seems to be in the high hundreds / low thousands (the FPS counter is stuck at 0).  My dwarves whiz around on their various tasks at relativistic speeds, and I'm worried that if there's a flood, my fort will be gone before I can even hit 'pause'.

[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:2]
[FPS_CAP:100]
[PRIORITY:ABOVE_NORMAL]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:5:5]
[ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:YES]

As such, I have perhaps the strangest question you'll ever see here:  How can I lower my framerate to a more manageable level?  Do I need to lower the priority?  Attempt to set a lower FPS cap?  Thermonuclear catsplosion?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [Mac 40d] Insane framerate, counter won't work
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 04:19:35 pm »

I'd start by lowering the priority.  ABOVE_NORMAL is pretty unusual, why'd you raise it in the first place?

Lucien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:29:10 pm »

Mostly to see what it would do.  Before I raised it, my dwarves were crawling along slowly and it would take them forever to actually get anything done.  I'll give it a shot and post the results.

EDIT:  Tried lowering it; the dwarves have slowed down slightly but overall are still moving at Ludicrous Speed.  After a short session of RTFM, I discovered in the Mac readme file that the FPS counter doesn't work; it might be logical to assume that the FPS limit won't work here either.

SECOND EDIT:  As an experiment, I boosted the priority to Realtime, but to my surprise it doesn't make much of a difference.  The only other thing that I can think of that would speed up the game would be enabling partial print- is it really that much of an improvement?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:33:04 pm by Lucien »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

Okay wait.  You had it at normal before, dwarves were moving slowly.  Now if you change it back to normal, they still move extremely fast?  Did you have a larger population before, or a lot of moving water or something?

Lucien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:43:45 pm »

Nope, both evaluations were based on fresh starting fortresses with roughly the same amount of wildlife, water, z-levels etc.  I'm starting to think that the partial print really makes a difference on the Mac.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:52:23 pm »

Oh yeah, if partial print was turned off before, that could definitely be the cause.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:44:42 pm »

100 FPS is really fast, so I doubt you're seeing thousands of frames a second (i.e. you wouldn't see dwarves move at all: that'd be 100 tiles that they move every second, or about 3 ever graphical refresh).

As for the FPS counter, yes, on Macs it doesn't work.