Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Male and Female Names  (Read 2665 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Male and Female Names
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:42:51 am »

Have you ever had this happen?

Once upon a time, in long-since-fallen fort, you had a champion, or a memorable dwarf. A Kikrost or somesuch who's a right manly dwarf, champion and valiant hero.

Then, some time later on, you run into another Kikrost... who's a woman.

(the reverse is also applicable, but you get the point.)

At some point, a change to either the SYM or Language files ought to be made in order to define first names as male or female for their race. No more Urist the Barmaid, or any of that jazz.

In light of this suggestion, please post a list of names you consider as either male or female; try not to repeat any. We all know Urist is the penultimate male dwarf name. :P

MALE:
Urist
Kikrost
Ålbel
Momúz
Kogan
Cog
Oddom
Zas
Gishod
Erush

FEMALE:
Tholtig
Sibrek
Dumed

The rest, I leave to you.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Male and Female Names
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:28:19 pm »

I like the idea of dwarves, at least, being so androgynous that they all have the same names.

For the other races this could be implemented though.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 01:02:19 pm »

We all know Urist is the penultimate male dwarf name. :P

Which is funny because the original Urist in One Dwarf Against the World (http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=15572.0) was female...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 01:27:08 pm »

The easiest thing would be adding NAME_MALE and NAME_FEMALE in language_SYM, as you suggested, and then having an option for gender-specific SELECT_SYMBOL and CULL_SYMBOL tags in entity, just like the ones for selecting road names, except with an optional extra gender parameter -- [CULL_SYMBOL:ENTITY_MEMBER:MALE:NAME_FEMALE], or something.  This would also be useful for controlling how entities name member creatures in general.

The disadvantage, though, is that this uses the same gender connotations for all races.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:30:44 pm »

On further consideration, Toady is far too progressive to draw this kind of boorish distinction.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:38:03 pm »

Mayhaps add a distinction to each word? Masculine, Feminine, Ambiguous, other things you might wish to have.

Thus Elves would all have feminine names. Dwarves would use whatever the hell they want for their names, masculine feminine and ambiguous. Humans would match masculine with male and feminine with female. Kobolds would use ambiguous names.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:46:27 pm »

On further consideration, Toady is far too progressive to draw this kind of boorish distinction.

isn't equal rights a tech that wasn't around pre 1400's?

(don't get me up on my soap box about modern revisionism of ancient and medieval cultures...)

Additionally, just because it's modeled in a video game doesn't mean that the author supports it.  (And calling Sue a girls name is 'boorish'!?)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:54:02 pm by Granite26 »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 03:05:39 pm »

Might be worth looking into once gender politics are in and males don't go around wearing dresses and silk mittens anymore

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 03:10:10 pm »

But silk mittens are so comfy!!

*cuddles my silk mittens* I'm gonna name you Urist, and you Kogan.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:10:15 pm »

(don't get me up on my soap box about modern revisionism of ancient and medieval cultures...)

Additionally, just because it's modeled in a video game doesn't mean that the author supports it.  (And calling Sue a girls name is 'boorish'!?)

I was just joking about how DF's total inattention to gender could be misinterpreted as egalitarianism.  If the stories and powergoals are any indication, gender roles will have a definite place in the stock universe.

Dresses and silk mittens aren't as much of a problem as the total lack of bras.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:48 pm »

I was just joking about how DF's total inattention to gender could be misinterpreted as egalitarianism.  If the stories and powergoals are any indication, gender roles will have a definite place in the stock universe.

Dresses and silk mittens aren't as much of a problem as the total lack of bras.

Dress code can be fixed later; this suggestion is simply to help players differentiate in the short term. If gender roles are intended to have a later role, separate gender names would be a logical step.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 03:26:13 pm »

Dress code can be fixed later; this suggestion is simply to help players differentiate in the short term. If gender roles are intended to have a later role, separate gender names would be a logical step.

Well, not to continue a derail, but the mechanism for handling dress code would probably be extremely similar to names: using gender tokens in the entity clothing permissions alongside the COMMON/UNCOMMON stuff.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 04:02:19 pm »

I mentioned this in my big long gender dimorphism thread, but the differences in the sexes (IRL) include every single thing defined in the raws.  Ethics? Acceptable Clothing?  Acceptable Jobs?  Body Parts?  Size?  Body Shape?  Behaviour?  Naming Conventions?

All have well founded historical and biological foundations for their differences.

(Again modeling it is not the same as thinking it's a correct wa to run a society...)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:37:35 am »

My last year's history book gave Raphel a sentence. That he had to share with Donnatello. Some random B-grade female artist got three pages. Revisionism is EVIL! But could be a fun part of DF, the elves claim that their old culture was the best (or worst) thing ever.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:45:21 am »

Equal rights is a philsophy and cultural point of view, rather than technical subject, tsk tsk... Beside Dwarves in-game can do things that we moderns can't even fathom how to do, like stripping mountains down, flooding huge areas with magma and water, and so on so technology's quite a bit ahead in some ways, and quite backwards in some ways  ;) But rights, is a cultural and philsophical subject, not technical subject. Beside, I believe that such thing should be specified in the raws rather than hardcoded, so players can choose how to set their society up.  ;D (Personally, I don't give a damn if they're male or female, if they can work, then they got a job! ) Though I probably should naturally keep the females away from dangerous job, children and all that until there're better system of childcaring... Temper tantrums ain't worth it  >:(