Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom race fortress trouble  (Read 1208 times)

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom race fortress trouble
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:49 am »

This is a weird one and seen as i cant figure out what's gone wrong i've come here for help, assuming this is the right thread.
I created a custom race, nagas specifically, and i want to use them in DF mode. Unfortunately despite me giving them body,entity and creature entries for their layout, civilization and forms no civilizations of theirs are forming on world gen hence i cant establish fortresses of them. I do get the option to play one in adventure mode though so i reckon something is going right in this sea of wrong.
So anyone have any ideas why they're not turning up?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Oh and this is my first attempt at modding by the by hence the failure.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:29:19 pm by darkevilme »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom race fortress trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:02:11 pm »

When you say there's no civilizations on worldgen, do you mean you just can't play as them?  Or did you go into Legends mode and see that there's no Nagas anywhere, anytime?

Almost everything looks fine.  About the only possible problem I can see that you have [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE], which is unnecessary.  Indiv is implied by Civ, and since it's listed after Civ, it would be read later, and hence keep you from using them in fortress mode.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:51:50 pm »

I cant play as them. I'm not sure of the best way to use legends modes to determine whether there ever were any though, not touched it much.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »

You can test it with Legends by just loading that at the menu and seeing if there are any Nagas in the historical people list.  If there are, then they're probably just all dying out during worldgen wars or something.  If there aren't any Nagas then you've got a problem.

The creature and entity files look good enough, but I can't read the body file the way it's posted.  That # button above the textbox when posting is a CODE tag, to display text like in a text editor, if you didn't already know that.

Baring that, it might be the AQUATIC entry of SELECT_SYMBOL, which I'm not sure exists.  Try changing that one to OCEAN and see if there's a difference.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

I removed symbol aquatic, redid worldgen and checked the legends. No civilizations are marked as being founded by naga, the people list is absolutely huge though and i didnt scroll through all of it. What i did look through was naga less though. I exported the sites list to txt file and there's no nagas at the time legends was accessed.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:51:08 pm »

Are you genning a large enough world?  Most of my added races don't generate unless the worldgen settings allow for enough civilizations.

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:33:23 pm »

Set a large world to 80 civilizations, no dice, no nagas, no civilizations founded by nagas. I think the problem is something else.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 04:40:55 pm »

Just to be on the safe side, do you have the option to make sure all controllable civs survive world gen on?

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 06:38:46 pm »

I have no idea why this worked but i moved the relevant entries onto a fresh DF install and it works now. I have many nagas, with wet sounding civ names.

Problem resolved, hurrah.

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 12:12:12 am »

I had a similar problem too, that a race wouldn't work because of a bad entry, but still wouldn't work after it was changed. I think that when you run dwarf fortress, it checks for all files in DFfolder/data/objects and in the raws folder. If a file in the raws folder has the same name as a file in the objects folder, then the raw isn't read from. In other words, if you make a change to the raw, and it already has a coresponding file in the objects folder, then you have to delete the other file before the raw file gets reread.