Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: noble and noble consort share rooms  (Read 3219 times)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
noble and noble consort share rooms
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

exactly what the title says,
and really whats the point of a royal dinning room if you won't even dine with your significant other?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: noble and noble consort share rooms
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

Got my enthusiastic, loud, and almost pleading vote.  Most heartily seconded.

And if they really want to sleep in different beds, at least make it possible to have both beds in the same room...  That's not asking for too much, is it?...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

You can already do this, if you make the room nice enough and overlap them. Yes, they lose some value from the overlap but it's not really terribly hard to make them royal even with the overlapping - make the furniture out of a really nice metal (platinum or gold, say) instead of stone, and add a nice platinum statue or  4.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

Overlapping removes a quarter of total room value...  That's a pretty hefty drop.  You'd need a lot of really nice statues in order for that to work...  Plus engraving everything...  And maybe a nice, shiny new floodgate...

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

it's still cheaper to do that then to bother making different rooms of enough value
The great game of Warlocks!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Overlapping removes a quarter of total room value...  That's a pretty hefty drop.</STRONG>

I've only ever observed a drop of half (for each room) meaning I need to stuff the same amout of value into half the space.

Mind, I overlap dining rooms and offices for the same noble.

Thakh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://compus.sytes.net
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

On a slightly different note yet related, I think it would be nice if rooms being shared by the same owner (like the abovementioned noble having the office and dining room in the same room) wouldn't drop in value as heavily as when they're shared among dwarves.

T

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 02:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by kuro_suna:
<STRONG>exactly what the title says,
and really whats the point of a royal dinning room if you won't even dine with your significant other?</STRONG>

You're presuming the baron and baron consort *like* each other.  The current setup is more "historically accurate."  So to speak.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 08:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

You're presuming the baron and baron consort *like* each other.  The current setup is more "historically accurate."  So to speak.</STRONG>

Therefore, room value drop should depend on the relationship between the dwarves sharing it and their preferences. some dwarves might prefer to avoid company while others like to share their rooms so as not to feel lonely (think soldiers).

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 09:49:00 am »

I've gone so far as to cram a King and Queen into a single room. Even with the massive reduction in quality from the overlapping (5 Rooms) I can still get it up to Royal all around with a little effort.

What you need is a really good Blacksmith. A good Metalcrafter and Jeweler help, but I got my Jeweler from novice to legendary doing the lesser items before moving on to the good stuff.

Just crank out high cost material furniture.
Keep the exceptional + Masterwork stuff, melt the rest.
Stud the REALLY GOOD STUFF with everything (even lead).
Then Encrust the REALLY REALLY GOOD STUFF, saving the rare gems for the OMG IT SHINES STUFF.

Example: My King's Throne. Value just under 40k. Masterwork Platinum. Studded with everything but platinum and adamantine. Encrusted with one of every gem I have mined, plus everything I was able to ship in. It has about 10 images, many of artifacts. It menaces with spikes of spikes.

Their room has about 7-8 pieces worth over 10k, and the Queen's throne is worth about 20k (ran out of star gems). Even the beds are worth 4k each.

I start with copper for the losers (Dungeon Master, Captain, Mayor), Silver for the Less than Losers (Barons/Count/Duke), and save the gold and platinum  for the Boss. You can also substitute steel and aluminum. My smiths each have 10k steel coffins  ;)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Just line the room with superiorly crafted silver menacing spikes, and use masterwork obsidian mechanisms with the lever they are attached to.
igless

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>room value drop should depend on the relationship between the dwarves sharing it and their preferences.</STRONG>

Oooh, I like.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 03:14:00 am »

Even if they didn't like each other my public dinning room for 83 dwarfs rarely has more than 3 dwarfs in it at once so I thing 2 dwarfs that are willing to make babies together can share a dinning room without too much fuss