Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: forum suggestion: reverse sort order in search  (Read 2252 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
forum suggestion: reverse sort order in search
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

When we search the forums, can we get newest first, instead of oldest first?  It would reduce the number of zombie and skeletal posts rising up.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: forum suggestion: reverse sort order in search
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

I don't think there's anything wrong with resurrecting a suggestion thread if it's still relevant and the poster is able to add to it; it's certainly better than making an entire new thread, anyway.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

Yeah, but we just saw a bug post from 2006, and it's intended behavior (deconstructing trade depot to get "free" goods).

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:36:00 am »

To be fair, I had no idea it was intended behaviour; it gets reported every other week.

But *usually*, when searching, the most recent hit is the most relevant.  A bug report from 2006 is probably not what you were looking for.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

I didn't find a setting for it in my control panel, and I don't know enough perl to mess with it myself.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I didn't find a setting for it in my control panel, and I don't know enough perl to mess with it myself.</STRONG>

I could take a look at it, it's probably a matter of making the loop that spits back the information run "backwards" (i.e. start at the end of the array it's ending at now).  Perl looks like a mess when you're used to C code, but it's just a matter of learning what you're actually looking at.  It's the Regular Expressions that need new neural pathways.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

For me the search looks like it just lists them randomly, or in a very disorganised fashion.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.