Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thirsty dwarves who are missing limbs...  (Read 2139 times)

tychoruniko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thirsty dwarves who are missing limbs...
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

The "Give Water" action should be "Give Drink" and any drink (wine, beer, etc) should be a potential source of thirst quenching for brave warriors wounded in the left foot by berserk Clothiers and who are now stuck in bed.
The Dwarves' iconic beard may appear to be made out of facial hair, but its appearance is deceptive. What appears to be long, braided locks is actually a complex organ, which filters alcohol out of the bloodstream much like a human liver. But rather than discard the alcohol as a waste product, it is burned and converted into energy, which explains the lethargy apparent in dwarves that have gone many days without a good drink.

To put it simply: the dwarf is a booze-powered rock-breaker.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thirsty dwarves who are missing limbs...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

I agree, and I think/hope Toady has plans to do this.  It would definitely increase the wound survival rate among those who 'need alcohol to get through the working day.'  They seem to have an even harder time of it.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 02:15:00 am »

It makes practical sense.

Alcohol is a painkiller, so giving it to the wounded would be a primitive way of sedating them.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

It also speeds up bleeding.
Many years ago, people who had surgery drank a lot so as not to feel the pain. They often bled to death during the operation.