Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Special ordering from caravans  (Read 765 times)

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Special ordering from caravans
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:58:00 pm »

Currently, you can ask for more of a kind of item and have it cost twice as much, but you still aren't guaranteed to get it, and you can't be that specific about it. I suggest having a method to ask for, say, a female giant scorpion, pay a greatly inflated price, probably in advance, and have it come with the next caravan. The price will be increased even more and the wait increased if the civ you're buying it from has to buy it from someone else (for example, buying said scorpion from someone other than elves).

Ideally, you'd be able to choose every specific detail, or allow it to be any, and each detail increases the price. For example, you'd pay more for a female giant scorpion than just a giant scorpion.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: Special ordering from caravans
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:34 pm »

Sounds good, decently balanced, a way to keep on trading even if a liason dies, good.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:33:17 am »

"i'm looking for a female giant scorpion missing it's left middle leg."

this is actually a great idea, if we could implement it alongside trading sand then that would just be awesome.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:34:56 am »

Even if you do get the item, the absolute max is 4. We should be able to order lots of mundane items in the same manner, like flux or wood. Would make a lot of new places viable for habitation

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:35:32 am »

I don't think that's how it works. I think it's more like they'll send you twice as much if you pay twice as much. They should change that to allow you to increase how much you'll pay by more, but I don't think it should be the same system as this.

What does this have to do with trading sand?

Also, you should probably have to have a sufficiently good relationship with the civ you do these trades with.

Come to think of it, this kind of trading would probably be the most necessary to have a liaison, as you need someone you know and trust to actually get the item rather than just taking your money and leaving.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:49:23 am »

What does this have to do with trading sand?
Probably just a piggy-back "if wishes were horses" thang...

Like the one that I have for being able to tell the gender of tame (and otherwise captured) animals when securing them to restraints as part of a breeding program.

Currently it looks like I still have to put all undifferentiated creatures (obviously not including bulls and cows, but calves are applicable) in a holding cage and one (per species) by one allocate them to the arrayed undyed rope reed restraints, then on their arrival check their gender and if required for breeding reallocate to the emerald-dyed restraints, else to the red-dyed ones or cage from which the slaughtering can be safely allocated without depriving myself of a breeding male and however many females I want.  (Or whichever variant of the above I implement, given the resources at hand.)

But I wasn't going to moan about that.  Fail.  You just reminded me with the gender specification aspect of this suggestion.

(Before even thinking of putting the above in any forum, I did a few searches for "animal gender", "creature gender", etc, but quickly hit the search-request limit before I got any useful results back, so I'll mumble that one here, while I'm passing.  I'm sure there's a setting I could use, of course, but I quite like my interim solution.)