Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting with a different race from dwarves  (Read 1096 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting with a different race from dwarves
« on: December 15, 2008, 01:22:04 am »

I know it's possible, but I can't navigate the search to find this :( How do I start the game with humans, goblins, kobolds, tentacle demons, whatever, instead of dwarves?

Also, are there any bugs related with starting it with other races? Will the clothes be the right size? Could I make bows if I start a elven fortress?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Orange Drink

Re: Starting with a different race from dwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:03:06 am »

If you add the [CIV_CONTOLLABLE] tag to the civilisation's entity, you can select them by going to the civilisation menu on the embark screen. there is no way to tell which civ is which, so you'll have to guess.

you can build bows when playing as humans or elves, but can't get your military people to use them. you can only use the weapons available to dwarves.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:27:22 am »

There's a way to tell. When you select dwarves, you see statue symbols on the world map where the civ site is, when you select goblins, you see dark tower symbols, when you select humans, you see city symbols. Easy.

Orange was right that other races are not supposed to be freely played since they lack some key things to be controllable.

Search for the "goblin fortress" and "kobold fortress" mods which add a variety of items/things to allow you to fully enjoy other races and their strong/weak sides.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 06:29:07 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:01:15 am »

Oh god, Don't listen to Deon, DON'T search for goblin fortress. you'll thank me later. Remember Deon... it never happened...

also, you don't gotta worry about guessing wrong if you remove CIV_CONTROLLABLE from every race you don't want to play as (a.i. dwarves).

the thing with bows and crossbows, as far as i can tell, is that fortress mode is only equipped to handle crossbows. thats it. So if your REALLY hurting for bows, then all you need to do is mod the weapon raws to change bows to train the crossbow skill instead of the bowman skill. that's it. Bows still use arrows and still train the sword skill when used as a melee weapon, except now it trains the crossbow skill and only people with cross-bow making can make them.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:22:55 am »

Heh, thanks. Yeah, I thought of it for a while, and I've come to the conclusion that the crossbows work as bows should, with the killer rate of fire and how easy it is to make them. Easier to just use my imagination and switch the terms ;)

Hmm... where do I lower the learning rate of my creatures? I don't like my goblins learning so quickly :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:26:23 am »

I think if you give them the SLOW_LEARNER tag in their creature entry, then they'll learn all skills at a slower speed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:58:16 am by chaoticjosh »