Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Fort Problems?  (Read 488 times)

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
Human Fort Problems?
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:37:35 pm »

Okay, so I really liked the idea of having a human fort. I set it up*, everything's going fine, I can make but not use bows and things, I can use a wider variety of weapons, some two-handed...

But now I've run into a little problem. See, I have a nice wall around the... town, fort, whatever you like, and I was eagerly waiting to get fortress guard, so I could get rid of all these useless Fish Dissectors, Fish Cleaners (4 of them in the last immigrant wave!), Soap Makers, et cetera... and have them wander around shooting goblins and acting guardy.

So when this last wave comes, and I get to 53 humans, I'm most excited. I eagerly v over a fish dissector, head to preferences, go to select fortress guard... but it's not there.

Confused, I go to the military screen. No listing of numbers of fortress guard there, like I'm used to.

I check the nobles screen, and my Sheriff is still a Sheriff, and my Expedition Leader is no Mayor. Confused, I allow the immigrants to come along and settle in, so their flashing Xs disappear, hoping that will allow the game to update.

Thing is, it hasn't. I've let it run for a bit, and I keep looking out for announcements and checking the screens, but there's no sign of any update.

Is there something stopping humans getting the relavant nobles and whatnot? Is there anything I can change, in the raws, say, to get this to work?

* To set up the human fort, I removed the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag from the dwarven civ and added it to humans, that was pretty much the only change I've made.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fort Problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 05:28:04 am »

look in the entity_default.txt i think you should look near jobs, and other tags to see what makes the difference (i verified and for example [MAYOR]is not in human entity, so it is normal that they don't elect one)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fort Problems?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:37:40 am »

Thanks! That seems to have been precisely the problem, now I can recruit as many as I like into the guard. It seems the [MAYOR] tag lets the Mayor become, well, the Mayor, whilst that seems to trigger the Captain of the Guard, which triggers the Fortress Guard.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.